Chicken math…, Bamboozled again!

PoppasGrill

Songster
Sep 22, 2023
North Central Florida
We were walking through Rural King yesterday, getting some feed for our flock, when SOMEONE heard chirping from the next isle. Needless to say, we had to investigate .
We left with 6 Gold Laced Wyandotte
4 Saphire, 4 Americana , and 4 Buff Brahma. Most are over a week old.
Will post pics of the little ones later on, getting them settled in a store coop, temporarily. Tried to get an older hen to go in the coop with them, but as soon as they tried to eat, she started pecking at them, so got her out of there and put in a heat lamp and blocked the sides for wind.
Hopefully they are all pullets, as we haven’t finished or rooster coop yet.

If you put the chick's feed in a box with a small hole, or if you put a roof over the feed so the hen can't get to it, you can have the hen in with the chicks.

If you put the chick's feed in a box with a small hole, or if you put a roof over the feed so the hen can't get to it, you can have the hen in with the chicks.
She not a motherly hen, was hoping she would be. She will peck at the other big hens if she thinks they are eating her feed, or if she thinks they are eating too much ( like as soon as she gets to the trough, the other hens have eaten enough).
334E3F81-95ED-4F97-92A3-58F69AEA2B66.jpeg

I know the light looks close, but that’s the angle of the picture, it’s about 18” up from the chicks.
B04E70A3-CA19-472C-901C-0169ED0B0A61.jpeg

Now I’ve got more incentive to finish the new wing, pun intended, on the hillbilly condo coop.
This, at last count , will put us at 93 in our flock, as we lost 3 in the last week. Brahma rooster and RIR hen got stomped, accidentally I hope, by donkeys, and a leghorn got an egg stuck and died in the nesting box.

Back
Top Bottom