Chicken Math Again, or why I am so in trouble...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SkyWarrior, Mar 15, 2011.

1. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Songster

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    This year, I figured out the breeds I wanted to buy. So, I decided on getting the Barnyard Special with 7 turkeys, 7 ducks and 2 geese because I wanted turkeys and I thought ducks would be cool, and I already have some geese.

Then, I said, okay, I need to replace the 1 year olds who are slowing down in laying, so since I have only 12 hens and 5 roos (I've got to put some roos in freezer camp), I wanted Buff Orpingtons, Barnevelders and Marans. But the place that had Barnevelders and Marans were out. [​IMG] So I ordered 13 BOs (11 pullets and 2 roos) and 7 Welsummers (5 pullets and 2 roos).

With me so far?

Then, I discovered this nice lady on the list and I asked for her to hold 6 Marans for me to pick up in April.

Then, I got a super-secret email from a hatchery that said "yes, we have Barnevelders for you. You want to order them?"

In a fit of passion, I bought 15 Barnevelders (12 pullets/3 roos). They tell me they will add extra roos. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Okay, assuming I end up with 25 per box (including extras), I'm looking at 56 chickens! OMG [​IMG] That's including the 18 I have, the 2 ducks, 2 geese and the 16 other birds I'm getting.

Somebody help me. Please. I need therapy.

2. pixiedouglas

pixiedouglas Songster

This chicken thing is contagious. Hubby was trying to be the voice of reason in the house, but he's catching the chicken fever now too. It's only a matter of time till I convince him to let me add "just a few more" chicks to the brooder box...

56 though! WOW! lol [​IMG]

3. EmtheFishLady

EmtheFishLady We're all mad here

Jan 13, 2011
    Glen, MS
    Yeah, I originally ordered 10, then decided no, I needed an even number of colors...so 12...Then we decided we wanted a few runners, so add 4 more...

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  4. heather112588

heather112588 Songster

Nov 12, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    with me it was 5 rir chicks (4 were males, 1 female...luck of a straight run) so add 3 more garunteed br females minus 1 lost in a fox attack and 1 roo butchered, add 8 baby chicks...14 chickens when i only wanted a small backyard flock of 3 orginally!

5. retiredwithchicks

retiredwithchicks Songster

Feb 27, 2009
    Byrdstown, TN
    Don't want to hear anyone complain until they go over 200, then you have a reason. lol I did that last year but finally got them down to a manageable 58 but I'm constantly hatching, SO......How long until back up there? I keep telling myself, decide what kinds to concentrate on and keep it to that." We'll see.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: