Chicken math and coop size.

mtma

Songster
5 Years
Jul 18, 2018
5 hens hatched a lot of eggs while we were out of town, shortly before our long-awaited order arrived. We now have 60 birds, too many for our two coops, 16x7 and 4x6. About 10 are cockerels who won't be staying. We get a couple weeks of real cold in Montana winters, but otherwise they free range on about an acre. What should our goal number be??

How large are the runs? Based on just the provided coop floor space, about 34. But that's give or take depending on the temperament of the birds, their size (bantam, small standard or large standard) and the size of the runs
Run size is big. Maybe 1000 sq feet? With free range access to an acre. Small standard and standard size birds. I think we will start by rehoming last year's chicks.

Some smaller easter/olive eggers, sex links, astrolorps, legbar mixes. Its just that we have about 3 weeks of subzero temps that they don't want to go out in. Standards - orpingtons, barred rock, marans, Wyandotte

Last edited:
Alright between those breeds, I would do maybe a max of 38 birds, but 34 if you have multiple males in a group.

I wouldn't put more than 6 or 7 in the smaller one, though to be fair mines about the same size and I've got like 11 that stay in there just fine

Alright between those breeds, I would do maybe a max of 38 birds, but 34 if you have multiple males in a group.

I wouldn't put more than 6 or 7 in the smaller one, though to be fair mines about the same size and I've got like 11 that stay in there just fine
Thank you. Yes, we have found 6 or 7 to be the magic number in the small coop.

Back
Top Bottom