Chicken math coop and run question

Great advice already.

Adding to that....deep bedding is extremely difficult in short coops. A walk in would allow for better management of deep bedding.

Not sure if you can manage it with the roofing you have but a 4x8 is just as easy or even easier to build with minimal waste than a 4x6.
I’m going to measure for a 4x8 today. I think we have enough roofing. The difference in cost would be negligible. Would a 4x8 coop with 8x10 run make much a difference?

I’m going to measure for a 4x8 today. I think we have enough roofing. The difference in cost would be negligible. Would a 4x8 coop with 8x10 run make much a difference?

Having had a 4x6 raised coop and going to walk in style I can say it definitely helps to go a bit bigger.
Adding windows, vents, using deep litter, tending birds while not in the whipping wind or snow is far easier in a walk in style.

I do still have a small raised coop for isolation/hospital needs. It has a fully roofed run which helps. It was very difficult to set up a roost, nest box and ventilation in such a short structure.

In the walk in coop I can easily grab birds off the roost at night for health checks as well as spend a bit of time observing them no matter what the weather is doing outside.

Having had a 4x6 raised coop and going to walk in style I can say it definitely helps to go a bit bigger.
Adding windows, vents, using deep litter, tending birds while not in the whipping wind or snow is far easier in a walk in style.

I do still have a small raised coop for isolation/hospital needs. It has a fully roofed run which helps. It was very difficult to set up a roost, nest box and ventilation in such a short structure.

In the walk in coop I can easily grab birds off the roost at night for health checks as well as spend a bit of time observing them no matter what the weather is doing outside.

Ok, I’ve measured and redrawn. I can’t go wider, but can go longer. Here’s a 4x6 coop with 6x12 covered run. The coop is the same, but I’ve added an additional 2x6 of run space. Tending to the coop from inside the run during winter makes a lot of sense. I’ll add another access door from inside the coop.

This is about as big as I can go. Am I still pushing it with 6 birds?

Attachments

• IMG_4928.jpeg
    IMG_4928.jpeg
    579.8 KB · Views: 19
OMG... you are in nearly the IDENTICAL situation as me right now AND your coop plans are nearly identical to what I have in mind. I currently have 7 birds. I had planned on getting 6, but chicken math happened before I even checked out on my first order... they offered a "free unsexed mystery chick". How can you turn down a free chick?!
I just made a post this morning also... started my foundation thinking 6x12 total footprint (nearly exactly what you have in your drawing). Knowing that I will likely end up with more chickens than what I currently have, I looked at my space and decided it looked too small...I increased the hen house from 4x6, to 6x6 and the total house/run footprint from 6x12, to 10x12. My chicks are only 2 months old and not yet full grown, if you look closely, you can see a couple in the photo. You can see where I increased the size. I've also attached (pic) my plan...

Attachments

• 20230709_095007.jpg
    20230709_095007.jpg
    925.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 16889227214675124371833947905243.jpg
    16889227214675124371833947905243.jpg
    329.6 KB · Views: 15
OMG... you are in nearly the IDENTICAL situation as me right now AND your coop plans are nearly identical to what I have in mind. I currently have 7 birds. I had planned on getting 6, but chicken math happened before I even checked out on my first order... they offered a "free unsexed mystery chick". How can you turn down a free chick?!
I just made a post this morning also... started my foundation thinking 6x12 total footprint (nearly exactly what you have in your drawing). Knowing that I will likely end up with more chickens than what I currently have, I looked at my space and decided it looked too small...I increased the hen house from 4x6, to 6x6 and the total house/run footprint from 6x12, to 10x12. My chicks are only 2 months old and not yet full grown, if you look closely, you can see a couple in the photo. You can see where I increased the size. I've also attached (pic) my plan...
I’ve been back and forth on a shed versus gable roof. We’ve had a wet summer and everyone in the local backyard chicken FB group has been complaining about stinky coops/runs. I thought a gable roof might do a better job keeping water out, but I love the look of a shed roof. So many options!

I went back and forth for a while as well. My location, the ground is slightly sloped... back of the coop is downhill. If I were to allow the water to run off the front, it would likely move downhill, into the run. (I already have the garden there, that's enough moisture to contend with.) Also, I read other ppl's experiences with regards to egg collection... in the rain, if the roof (or portion of) is slanted towards the nest box, you get drenched trying to get eggs. Plus, I was hoping to eventually install some kind of rain barrel system on the back side. It's also a rather sunny location, and the hot evening sun would be shaded more effectively (the coop will face east). Lean-to roofs are also easier and cheaper to build. I decided the lean-to best suited my needs.

My two questions are:

2) Is it possible to have a low maintenance, truly stink free coop and run using the deep bedding/deep litter method with 6 birds in a coop/run this size? Stink free is absolutely key for marital harmony.
The keys to stink free coops are drop boards and the routine maintenance to remove the poop daily or close thereto. Flock spends most of their day in the run.

I replace the coop bedding maybe once per year, occasionally add shavings. You do not need 10" of bedding in the coop, good containment of whatever depth you have is a good idea,

I have never cleaned my 4 year old run. It has a base of mulch to which I add loads of deciduous leaves every fall. Run is covered and sits on well drained ground, I have close to 10" of bedding depth, no smells.

I have read that a wet run can be a nightmare to manage smells, mud and poop. If your property is or can be wet you need to sort out how you will mange water run off so that it can remain dry.

Good luck.

I went back and forth for a while as well. My location, the ground is slightly sloped... back of the coop is downhill. If I were to allow the water to run off the front, it would likely move downhill, into the run. (I already have the garden there, that's enough moisture to contend with.) Also, I read other ppl's experiences with regards to egg collection... in the rain, if the roof (or portion of) is slanted towards the nest box, you get drenched trying to get eggs. Plus, I was hoping to eventually install some kind of rain barrel system on the back side. It's also a rather sunny location, and the hot evening sun would be shaded more effectively (the coop will face east). Lean-to roofs are also easier and cheaper to build. I decided the lean-to best suited my needs.
I love the idea of a rain barrel system, but I think the gable roof will help keep things drier. I’m also planning significant overhangs that should help. Everything is a comprise, I guess. The planning is fun!!

The keys to stink free coops are drop boards and the routine maintenance to remove the poop daily or close thereto. Flock spends most of their day in the run.

I replace the coop bedding maybe once per year, occasionally add shavings. You do not need 10" of bedding in the coop, good containment of whatever depth you have is a good idea,

I have never cleaned my 4 year old run. It has a base of mulch to which I add loads of deciduous leaves every fall. Run is covered and sits on well drained ground, I have close to 10" of bedding depth, no smells.

I have read that a wet run can be a nightmare to manage smells, mud and poop. If your property is or can be wet you need to sort out how you will mange water run off so that it can remain dry.

Good luck.
The location I’m planning is at the top of a gentle slope, so it shouldn’t be too bad. Although, nothing is dry this season. It is the wettest summer we’ve had since 2015.

Back
Top Bottom