chicken math has struck, am I going to have enough space?

Jakoda

Songster
7 Years
Apr 12, 2012
Old Lyme CT
Chicks havent' even arrived yet, and I added to my order:) Will be getting 10 , large fowl ( wyandottes, orpingtons, australorps, spec sussex) My indoor space is 4 x 12,,all floor, nesting boxes in wall, (boxes are outside of area), 6 - 7 ft ceilings...My outside run is going to be 12 x 20 since I can't free range (to many critters) does this sound like enough space, especially outside?

Thoughts are appreciated:)
Diane

thanks:) it's to early in the morning for me to work with numbers:)))

You are welcomed.

I understand, I'm a morning person. Ask me the samequestion this afternoon and you'll get a blank stare.
idunno.gif

Last edited:
More room in the coop is always better especially when the weather is bad & their confined to staying inside all day. They get bored quick. Your run will work just make sure you use half inch hardware cloth & put a top on your run to keep out predators. If your coop is four sided & you have a pop door I would add an auto pop door on a timer. That way when the door opens right at first light they can fly off the roost & go outside for more room & you don't have to open it on a cold morning or you just want to sleep in.

thanks, yes the run will be covered top to bottom with 1/2 mesh, 3 sides connecting to my 'coop' the run will have a pitched covered roof as well atleast 9 -12 feet out for shade and elements, and probably 6 ft plus roof pitch. Thanks for the advice:)

Back
Top Bottom