Chicken Math has Struck!! Or: New Coop NOW!!! Or: I'm Moving My Chickens to the Barn!!!

Thank you for your lengthy reply! No, since we are both retired, we probably will NOT get tired of your videos.
One question: Why do you hang your pellet feeders on the inside of the cage? I've found that my rabbits waste lots more feed that way, because when they jump on top, they knock out pellets. I finally got around to cutting slots in the cage wire, which lets the hopper hang outside with the little 'trough' inside. Much quicker and easier to fill and much less wasted food. (Your rabbits are lovely, BTW) I did one quick video to show our chicks...when it was too cold to put them outside. Still, it was the first time I figured out how to put something on YouTube, so I was unjustifiably proud of myself. It's here, if you'd like to see it:

I love it lol! And look at them lol. That's awesome :clap:lau. You talk to them just like I talk to all of my animals lol. 'Dummy', 'little idiots', 'moron' LOL. They don't seem to mind and it's always said lovingly....I thought I was the only one!

On the hutch thing...mostly I didn't want to guess wrong and have to put in new screen lol. I don't fill them super full...they mostly live on Timothy hay and leafy stuff. The feed is more of a supplement for them. One day I'll probably mount them outside though.

On topic....here's where the barn sits!

I'm running down tomorrow to pick up two more rolls of fencing. Should cover the rest, and we'll be set to move birds in!

I've got another thread going in the Managing Your Flock section...about my new Rooster 'Johnny'...and the fact that he's a 10 month old jerk to my 2.5 month old girls lol. I've been catching him (man, what a pain!...and it scares him half to death of course) and carrying him around under my arm while I do various chores on the property. By the time we're done I can even get him to almost fall asleep from chin scratches and rubbing his ears lol. He's really a surprisingly sweet bird.

Until I put him down of course...then he turns into Mr. A-hole again lol. Not to me....but in general.

Anyhow, I spent about 2hrs in the coop tonight, just sitting on a stool hanging with the birds. At first Johnny was on high alert. Pacing back and forth across the back of the coop...head super high. He'd fluff up...lean forward...and peck the ground in front of me (from a safe distance of course lol), trying to goad me into attacking 😜. After awhile of me just completely ignoring him physically...though looking at him and talking to him...he came over within about 3' of me and ate a little...looking up at me here and there from the corner of his eye (I was busy entertaining and being entertained by my pullets as well...who were swarming me, legs, arms, shoulders...and even one on my head occasionally...rubbing their faces on my hoodie lol). I let him eat. It honestly seemed like he hadn't been down to the food, and that the girls being distracted was 'his chance to eat'. Which leads me to believe his aggressive behavior might be due to being badly outnumbered by strange birds. Even though they all pretty much leave him alone.

Anyhow, after about an hour or so, he finally got up on the third roost back from me (18" spacing), diagonal across the coop. With a quick lean I could have got a hand on him...so it wasn't too far.

Progress!!

And I caught this:

96257047_165011101588240_3005990633434251264_n.jpg

I figured since this thread got moved to 'Pictures and Stories of my Chickens'....I'd get them all in there :D:D:D.

I also took a couple other pictures today, lol:

96529487_2601655616765871_3357481114737311744_n.jpg

96287035_278772083284365_2428437696717258752_n.jpg

Tastes like chicken lol??

I've got another thread going in the Managing Your Flock section...about my new Rooster 'Johnny'...and the fact that he's a 10 month old jerk to my 2.5 month old girls lol. I've been catching him (man, what a pain!...and it scares him half to death of course) and carrying him around under my arm while I do various chores on the property. By the time we're done I can even get him to almost fall asleep from chin scratches and rubbing his ears lol. He's really a surprisingly sweet bird.

Until I put him down of course...then he turns into Mr. A-hole again lol. Not to me....but in general.

Anyhow, I spent about 2hrs in the coop tonight, just sitting on a stool hanging with the birds. At first Johnny was on high alert. Pacing back and forth across the back of the coop...head super high. He'd fluff up...lean forward...and peck the ground in front of me (from a safe distance of course lol), trying to goad me into attacking 😜. After awhile of me just completely ignoring him physically...though looking at him and talking to him...he came over within about 3' of me and ate a little...looking up at me here and there from the corner of his eye (I was busy entertaining and being entertained by my pullets as well...who were swarming me, legs, arms, shoulders...and even one on my head occasionally...rubbing their faces on my hoodie lol). I let him eat. It honestly seemed like he hadn't been down to the food, and that the girls being distracted was 'his chance to eat'. Which leads me to believe his aggressive behavior might be due to being badly outnumbered by strange birds. Even though they all pretty much leave him alone.

Anyhow, after about an hour or so, he finally got up on the third roost back from me (18" spacing), diagonal across the coop. With a quick lean I could have got a hand on him...so it wasn't too far.

Progress!!

And I caught this:

View attachment 2128038

I figured since this thread got moved to 'Pictures and Stories of my Chickens'....I'd get them all in there :D:D:D.

I also took a couple other pictures today, lol:

View attachment 2128042

View attachment 2128041

Tastes like chicken lol??
He is gorgeous!! I’ve been jumping around this thread and find it interesting... I will try and catch up on all of it when I’ve got the time... your dog sounds amazing!! Great pictures too!

You can keep the roo, I'll take your dog- please :fl

Unfortunately we're kind of attached to him lol. I'll keep you in mind though!

He is gorgeous!! I’ve been jumping around this thread and find it interesting... I will try and catch up on all of it when I’ve got the time... your dog sounds amazing!! Great pictures too!

Thank you!

'Interesting' is a very polite adjective for the craziness I get myself into, lol. So thank you! I'm happy to have you along!!

Back
Top Bottom