Chicken Math has Struck!! Or: New Coop NOW!!! Or: I'm Moving My Chickens to the Barn!!!

Pics
Do you really want them roosting on the rafters?
What kind of birds is that lowest roost for?
How long are you going to wait to slaughter the CX?

I can reach all the rafters, so it's not an issue. It's more to give them things to do until I get their run built. Honestly they prefer their roost I built anyway.

0514202143b.jpg

The 2x4 roost is for the Cornish X. I've decided not to process these four. All of them are very healthy and mobile, and honestly the meat wasn't that great (I prefer standard farm breed chicken it seems, and rabbit...this meat was rubbery and had no flavor). I've heard they can be great layers of very large eggs. I'm going to see if I can get them there lol.

Quick update lol, finally built some nest boxes. I'd gone and made the top row first...12"x12" square and a sloped roof...when it dawned on me that I have the four Cornish Cross hens that would look like one of those jar cats if I tried to push them into a 12"x12" anything lol...so I divided the bottom row (those birds to NOT fly) up into thirds vs 4ths, and they're now 15"x16". I think they turned out ok for not having a plan when I started...and the placement works pretty good.

Overall the birds are loving the setup. They roost mostly on the rafters vs the roosting bars...but I figured that would be the case from the beginning, and set the coop up that way on purpose.

Oh, and the geese are integrated if I hadn't mentioned. They get along fine with the chickens, other than Johnny, whom they're terrified of lol.

Second batch of chicks (3wk old Ameraucana, 1wk old Ayam Cemani) has hit the first/grow out coop!...making room in the brooder for the next batch of BBS/SB Ameraucana that are hatching in two weeks :D

Back
Top Bottom