Chicken Math Help

I agree that you have space for more. Especially since you free range them. I just built an 8x12 coop and am sorta kicking myself for it. I always free range my birds, I open the door in the morning and they come out and don't go back in until the sun goes down. They've got all that space and all 30 sleep in about 8 square feet of it. That's all that ever gets used. I'm not even building a run for this coop, I just don't see the need with them being able to free range all the time.

2x4, maybe 4x4 if I'm being generous. It's a Woods coop with 3 roosts across the back and they huddle into one corner, across those three roosts.

I agree that you have space for more. Especially since you free range them. I just built an 8x12 coop and am sorta kicking myself for it. I always free range my birds, I open the door in the morning and they come out and don't go back in until the sun goes down. They've got all that space and all 30 sleep in about 8 square feet of it. That's all that ever gets used. I'm not even building a run for this coop, I just don't see the need with them being able to free range all the time.
You will see the need when predators start picking them off, or the local dogs.

You will see the need when predators start picking them off, or the local dogs.

I don't lose any to predators or local dogs. In fact, once I started just letting them free range and stopped trying to keep them in a secure pen I stopped having loses. as I always say, check all of your chickens, I'll bet anything you want that they are all birds.

I don't lose any to predators or local dogs.

Lucky you... my first flock was killed by a neighbors dog when it knocked down my fence, caught it in the act and killed it. A second dog came through and was trying to get in the chicken yard and I chased it off. It headed to my neighbor and started killing her free range chickens until I killed it.

JT

So I keep reading 3-4 SQ FT per chicken in the coop. I NEED to fit some more birds in my coop! PLEASE help me justify the space!

Inside my coop is 8' x 6' = 48sqft and 7' high with 22ft of roost and 8 nesting boxes
Outside area is also 8' x 6' and then I let them free range all day in a backyard size area too big to measure.

I currently have 16 and it sure seems like there is room for more. PLUS, there are so many more chickens I want. Is the 3-4sqft rule for the inside of the coop or combined inside and outside. How many more chickens can I squeeze in? I for sure don't want them to fight.

The recommendations are provided to reduce disease as well and provide adequate ventilation. You have just enough space in the house without adding more and whether you free range or not your run should have 5-10 sq ft per bird and therefore the run needs to be bigger. If you wanted more you would have to go bigger in both areas.

Back
Top Bottom