CHICKEN MATH STRIKES AGAIN

I went from having 6 birds (4 hens, a turkey & a duck) to 26 in the space of a week.

My friend called me yesterday and she had done me a wonderful favour! She went and got 16 guinea fowl eggs and popped them in her incubator for me! She hates guinea keets so they are mine. lol! Why I wanted a potential 16 extra guinea fowl I'll never know.

So potentially - that is an additional 16 birds that won't count at all.

My current 6 guinea keets escaped their brooder today and made a horrible mess of the spare room in my house. I started to laugh at my husband because it is classed as 'his' room... and it is his fault for not building me a bigger & more secure brooder. Then I quickly realised who will actually have to clean that room and I wasn't so impressed.

Last edited:
I set my limits high as I already know chicken math....my limit right now is 500 by this time next year I will be hatching 500 a week and may need to up that limit.
jumpy.gif

At least I know I am not alone out there LOL!!! yes, now I know it has a term...chicken math..to begin with we went to tractor supply....got 6 pullets....then same day went by the farmers co-op where they had straight run 2 week old dominiques for a buck apiece...got 6 of them....then we found somebody that is friends with my husband that is giving us 7 3 month olds...and then someone he works with set us a hen for about 10 eggs for silkies this week.....and yes we still look everywhere for more. We are converting an old dog lot and dog house for the first coop, with plans immediately following to build a bigger coop outside the dog lot linking the two together and more outside run....mmm hmmm at least we are not alone!!

I'm afraid all I wanted was just 13 chickens (12 hens & 1 roo) at the most. But now I'm up to 27 (6 of them hatched yesterday) and I want more! I am wanting to buy at least 2 Japanense batnam pullets for my prize winning Jap cock. I started with 2 Red Sexlink pullets 6 years ago. Now I'm 27 chickens and getting up to 12 eggs a day. :)

LoL I am doing chicken math already, and I don't even have any chickens yet!!
wink.png
I have 18 eggs in the homemade gator, 15-20 meat chickens coming within the next month AND I bought a hova bator 1602n forced air with auto egg turners today, so that has to be used soon... And my parents thought that we were only going to get a couple chickens this year, oops
lau.gif

Before we moved from Calif. to Texas, and purchased our house on 1 acre, I started looking at what type of chickens I wanted. I made a notebook, and labeled my top 5, then had 5 other breeds as a back-up. May of last year, we were at the local feed store & there were the chicks, got 3 Barred Rocks, 2 Buff Orph & 1 GLW. 3 days later we were at another feed store & they had more Buff Orph, so I got 4 more.
2 weeks later, my local feed store got EE, so I got 3, then 2 weeks later I saw Light Brahma chicks with the feathered feet, so of course I had to get 2. A total of 15 birds in one month. They started laying in Sept, and we get an average of 10 - 12 eggs a day.
In Oct. I got 2 Silkies, hoping for hens, got 2 roo's. On Thursday, I re-homed the one Silkie roo, and yesterday my hubby called and asked if I wanted a chicken. Of course it is a roo also. He went after my silkie roo, so I had to kick him out and put him with the big hens. If it does not work, I was told I could bring him back.
Now spring is here, and I had to have chocolate eggs, so in came the Cuckoo Marans, got 3, hubby wanted New Hampshire's, so we got 3, then they had a feathered footed Bantam, and a speckled Bantam (straight runs), one of each, and 2 Black Aust, so that makes 10.

Of course, I needed chick start yesterday, and they had Silver Lace Wyandotts, so I got 3, and a yellow EE, got 1, so 4 are in the brooder. Today was Chick Day at the feed store, and while at the feed store yesterday, I was looking at chicks called "Buckeye's" but they had no picture of it as an adult. So I came home I looked it up, and it is a pretty red hen.......So, today I got 2 of the Buckeye's. So 6 are in the brooder now.

A month ago I had 17 chickens, 15 really, you can't count silkies, because they are not real chickens
lau.gif

Now I have 33.......
barnie.gif

I did restrain myself from getting duck. But I still want a mini goat. Can someone help my addiction?????
droolin.gif

This is an ongoing battle, I have been outside all day building yet another coop (this one is alot smaller) for some silkies we are going to get tomorrow. I am afraid I will always have this problem of having too many chickens, because I am not willing to stop buying or raising them. Oh well, everybody has a weakness, right?

We started with 5. Soon up to 7. Then decided to let the silkie in my avitar sit on 8 sex links.all 8 hatched=14. Raccoon. Attack last summer left us with one roo. Rehomed him. Left with zero. Bought 8 chicks. Went back a week later and bought 10 more.2 more at Ohio national. Bought 6 more on byc auction.=26. Chicks from byc had ILT. After the ilt was over left with 12. Ordered 16 for April in Dec. Ordered another 5 for April a week later. Monday ordered 11 more d,uccle. Next day hatchery calls and has blue and barred cochins ..ordered 4 more. Yesterday ordered 7 silkie eggs. Stayed up all night last night trying to figure out how to get hubby to expand the brand new $1500.00 coop he JUST built. I think I may need counseling. :D finally told myself I will go ahead and get them all because some will be roo's ......right;)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom