Chicken math

The problem with roosters and advice is that people tend to give advice from their point of view - their own set up. What works in an established flock of often times, more than year s established, may not work with an immature flock just put together. A flock of 20-30+ hens is going to have different dynamics than a real back yard set up of less than 6 birds

A lot depends on the age of the birds, and the size of the set up, and the experience of the flock keeper. Roosters in my opinion, take a bit of experience.

Rules for Roosters?
  • How they are behaving today, is no indicator how they will behave next week, especially if they are less than 8-9 months old.
  • Roosters raised with flock mates often become sexually active LONG before the pullets are ready. This can get ugly. Older established hens will give a young rooster manners, (sometimes) and without them, this can get wild.
  • Roosters that are darlings, can become the nightmares towards people. Inexperienced people often vastly underestimate the violence of a rooster attack.
  • ALWAYS, have a plan B set up and ready to go. Plan B needs to have a way to catch a rooster (a long handled fish net can work) and a separate box, cage or crate to put him in. Wear jeans, a heavy sweatshirt and leather gloves if needed.
  • There really are no perfect ways to raise a perfect rooster, some rooster are just rotten roosters, if you can't cull a rooster yourself, can you find someone who can?
  • And roosters have ruined the whole chicken experience for a lot of people.
Good luck, it might work out just fine, but do have a plan set up in case it doesn't.

Mrs K
Thank you so much for your advice. I really do appreciate it. I definitely have a plan b in place just in case my guy turns mean. I'm hoping things remain smooth because they all seem to be doing ok together so far.. it has just been them 4 since September and we got them at maybe 12 or 14 weeks old?

Back
Top Bottom