Chicken Math

Alagirl

Crowing
8 Years
Jun 19, 2015
Central Alabama
Ok, since the prefab is a complete bust once the chicks are a little older, I need to build a coop. I have a bunch of lumber and assorted scraps, as well as chicken wire and hardware cloth.
So here is what I have: A couple of skinny PVC pipes (I thought I had more, I need to go check) to make a hoop from. Mant decking boards, 4x4s and thicker lumber. some thin plywood, 1/2 inch I think, roof sheeting left over from repairs.
Prospective residents: 6 chicks, hopefully, all hens.
I thought I'd go with an 4x8 design. Add a 2 foot base to make the coop tall enough to walk in. But 4x8 is 32, is that enough for 6 chicks?
Or should I consider going 4x12? Being 48. I want it to be somewhat movable so the yard get's good coverage.

My brain is currently mush: I walk into a room and forgot why I went there. My husband then asks me 'what are you looking for?'
I forgot. I am sorry. I also have a million ideas in my head at the same time, creating a big jumble. I need help!

true, but I have topographical considerations: Sloping yard. So I am trying to merge that with portability.
and of course size.
That's going to be a tough combo.

Ok, math equation again: 3 square feet per chick, that'll be 3x6=18
18/4 (board length) = 4.5 So 4x 4.5 feet for the coop? I am off to bed, I might figure it out.
The usual 'rule of thumb' is 4sqft per bird in the coop and 10sqft per bird in the run.
BUT those are bare minimums, IMO.

I suggest you get some graph paper and start to sketch things out to scale.

Theoretically 4x8 should be enough coop for 8 -- but if you're using it as a tractor and not including a run then it's going to be cramped because 6 birds in a traditional coop and run setup would have a total of 84 square feet (using the recommended minimums).

Honestly, the more I learn about tractors and the harder I try to figure out a tractor setup I could move around our orchard the more I think that they're just not really practical -- except on flat land, inside a secure fence, and, mainly, for meaties.

This photo is 3, 18-week, Blue Australorp cockerels in my 4x8 brooder. At that age they were just slightly smaller than an adult hen of their breed.

0130220845_hdr-jpg.2977731

I hope once they are grown they can roam the backyard during daylight hours.
I might have to section off parts to keep the dogs away (won't trust the little killer even with a grown bird, that's for sure)
I mean I have a slope, but not a sledding hill either. The 'drop' is deceiving, and most noticeable when you cut the grass with a push power.

(just where did I get 3 as footage from? NVM..... I am glad I remember how to walk and breathe at the same time)

6x4 elevated coop would be big enough for 6 chickens. You could go 6x10 including the area under the coop if it is raised for the absolute smallest area with minimum recommended requirements.
what about a hot weather hoop coop? Basically 4x6, roosts and nest boxes on one end (and roof) but wide open otherwise? Would a poop board qualify that as a 'raised coop'? It is barely past the middle of the month and it's over 80 degrees - after it rained last night and cooled a smidge!

Theoretically 4x8 should be enough coop for 8 -- but if you're using it as a tractor and not including a run then it's going to be cramped because 6 birds in a traditional coop and run setup would have a total of 84 square feet (using the recommended minimums).

Honestly, the more I learn about tractors and the harder I try to figure out a tractor setup I could move around our orchard the more I think that they're just not really practical -- except on flat land, inside a secure fence, and, mainly, for meaties.

This photo is 3, 18-week, Blue Australorp cockerels in my 4x8 brooder. At that age they were just slightly smaller than an adult hen of their breed.

0130220845_hdr-jpg.2977731
those are some gorgeous birds!
Supper, Lunch, and Dinner?

Back
Top Bottom