Chicken Math

How many chicks did you start with?

• Total voters
Do you favor the ducks or chickens? We got some Muscovies last year and I am absolutely in love! They are the friendliest little things! We have people over often and the ducks greet each one. I love my chickens but they aren’t so social with strangers.
Definitely the ducks mine are the same way sweet as pie and my chickens are like ya what ever

We started out with 24 from My Pet Chicken, sadly 3 of the 6 silkies in that order were very weak upon arrival and passed away within a day. Then all 3 of our assorted rare breed females turned out to be males! The three roos didn't get along at all (knock down drag out, drawing blood fights) even when we added 10 more females so 2 roos were rehomed each to their own new flock.. Our original birds are now 6.5 years old and we still have a large percentage of them. The three remaining silkies from that order passed not too long ago all around age 5 1/2- 6. We have gotten other birds over the years and hatched some. Currently we have 64 chickens between ages 3 months - 6.5 years. 5 of them are cockerels/roosters and they all get along. The rest are pullets/hens.

We also have 9 ducks. Had 4 originally, those ducks are nearly 7 years old now and 3 of the 4 are still living. My kids added 3 more the next year and then we adopted 3 adult ducks that badly needed a good home. The ducks are now all between age 5-7. There are also a few wild turkeys that claim our farm as their own and have done for years :).

I am a rare case that I help my family at our farm. We started out with an order of 12 chicks 3 each of 4 breeds). At pickup I added 3 singles from extra hatched breeds. Two weeks later we added 9 chicks from TSC. Lost 4 to various ailments during the winter and spring. Leaves us with 20 for the farm. Right now I have 43 chicks in my garage to be shared at the farm and a few for my backyard. So yeah, chicken math happened fast.

I started with 4 chickens. I now have 20. This is the most I've had! My original 4 are starred:
  • Aster (buff Brahma)*
  • Bryony (Welsummer)
  • Cayenne (white Leghorn cockerel)
  • Clary (silver Spitzhauben)
  • Clover (Easter Egger)
  • Dandelion (splash Silkie)
  • Hyacinth (lavender Orpington)
  • Iris (white Cochin)*
  • Laurel (Crested Cream Legbar)
  • Lotus (fibro Easter Egger)
  • Marigold (Olive Egger)
  • Myrtle (buff laced Polish)
  • Picotee (silver Sebright roo)
  • Poppy (buff Orpington)*
  • Rue (black Naked Neck)
  • Saffron (white Leghorn)
  • Sage (Easter Egger)
  • Twiggy (chocolate frizzle Polish)
  • Violet (black Silkie)
  • Zinnia (barred Plymouth Rock)*
I also have 6 ducks:
  • Cheddar (Call)
  • Clementine (black Swedish)
  • Figgy (fawn and white Runner)
  • Julep (Pekin)
  • Marmalade (Welsh Harlequin)
  • Peanut (Saxony)

I started with 4 chickens. I now have 20. This is the most I've had! My original 4 are starred:
  • Aster (buff Brahma)*
  • Bryony (Welsummer)
  • Cayenne (white Leghorn cockerel)
  • Clary (silver Spitzhauben)
  • Clover (Easter Egger)
  • Dandelion (splash Silkie)
  • Hyacinth (lavender Orpington)
  • Iris (white Cochin)*
  • Laurel (Crested Cream Legbar)
  • Lotus (fibro Easter Egger)
  • Marigold (Olive Egger)
  • Myrtle (buff laced Polish)
  • Picotee (silver Sebright roo)
  • Poppy (buff Orpington)*
  • Rue (black Naked Neck)
  • Saffron (white Leghorn)
  • Sage (Easter Egger)
  • Twiggy (chocolate frizzle Polish)
  • Violet (black Silkie)
  • Zinnia (barred Plymouth Rock)*
I also have 6 ducks:
  • Cheddar (Call)
  • Clementine (black Swedish)
  • Figgy (fawn and white Runner)
  • Julep (Pekin)
  • Marmalade (Welsh Harlequin)
  • Peanut (Saxony)
Just have to say that I love the names you chose for them! 😊

Started with 5.
We thought, "If we're going to have chickens, we're going all in."
Got 10 more, bringing it up to 15.
Then we began hatching throughout the years, buying chicks, hens, and roosters, etc.
Which gradually brought us up to a stable number of about 50 for a couple years. Got rid of some roosters and young cockerels throughout the years, butchered a few, etc.
We quickly climbed up to 80 this past year, but were growing some for a friend, which we gave to him yesterday (15).
This brings us to a grand total of about 65 right now, including chicks, pullets, cockerels, hens, and roosters.

I only wanted 3, but Stockdales only sold 6 minimums. So 6 it was. That was not even close enough fertilizer for my gardens, so 4 years later added another 6. 12 is perfect, I can grow all our food for a year on what 12 girls produce.
Not to derail the thread, but do you use deep litter in the run & spread it at various times, do they free-range the garden area, or do you use some other method of fertilizing with them? Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom