Chicken mauled by dog--please help

1Heart4Chickens

Hatching
7 Years
Jul 29, 2012
Honolulu
I am a tenant with a family that keeps 4 Silkies. One jumped the fence and was grabbed by a dog, then released. She has two puncture wounds in her back and is missing most of the feathers on her back and some along her sides under the wings. Some of the skin on her back was torn--scraped by the dog's teeth I think--so some small patches are raw but only at the surface.

She ran under the neighbor's house to escape the dog (smart chicken!) where we eventually found her. I bathed her in warm water and applied Neosporin to all. Some of the torn skin was still attached, so I spread it back where it came from, over the raw spots. She was very quiet for about 9 hours nested in some towels. Then she has drank some water and has eaten a little food.

I have her in a box in the house. She is alert and standing up. The punctures are oozing a little but did not bleed very much. What else should I do? Does she need antibiotics? Could she be suffering? Can I help with that? She is a lovely soul, likes to explore, which is what got her into trouble, I think. I don't know anything about chickens, but want to help her if I can. Heartfelt thanks for any advice.

Sorry about your silky. I had a LF BO who was attacked by a dog awhile ago. It sounds like your silkie was not hurt as badly as my chick. I kept her separated, cleaned her wounds daily with antibiotic wash, feed her extras besides her regular feed and also used Neosporin. Surprisingly my girl healed really well, at first I didn't think she had a chance. Good luck with your silkie, I'll bet she'll pull through just fine.

Sounds like you are doing what you can for her. And well too. Good job.
Chickens survive amazing horrible wounds.

Make sure the neosporin does not contain a "caine" type pain reliever. Anything that ends in caine like lidocaine, or benzocaine. It is toxic to birds. Other types of pain relievers are OK.

Keep her inside and warm till she heals. If she has wounds the other chickens may hurt her.

The skin and feathers will regrow.

If the wounds show any signs of infection, you can get anti-biotics at the feed store, or if you want them prophylactically.

You can give aspirin for pain.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/374821/what-kind-of-pain-meds-can-you-give-chickens

Here's some good advice about wound care.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/203024/cat-attack-hen-skin-ripped-pic-graphic-help-please

Good luck,

It's nice that you are helping her

Imp

Aloha--Thanks very much for your replies & encouragement. She got through the night really great. It looks like her wounds have healed a lot--is that possible overnight?? wow.

I read through some of the previous posts before I posted --thanks for leaving them up --it was a great help when I was in a panic. I will check the Neosporin for "caine" and check out the wound care site.

On her chest is a soft mass that seems filled with fluid. I feels about the size of a ping pong ball. I'm guessing from the chicken anatomy diagrams that it is the crop. Is it supposed to be that big? She has no wounds on the chest. Mahalo!

Aloha--Thanks very much for your replies & encouragement. She got through the night really great. It looks like her wounds have healed a lot--is that possible overnight?? wow.

It is possible for it to look significantly better overnight.

I read through some of the previous posts before I posted --thanks for leaving them up --it was a great help when I was in a panic. I will check the Neosporin for "caine" and check out the wound care site.

It's a good thread about wound care. I really like the advice from three horses (post #16) I believe. Comprehensive advice.

On her chest is a soft mass that seems filled with fluid. I feels about the size of a ping pong ball. I'm guessing from the chicken anatomy diagrams that it is the crop. Is it supposed to be that big? She has no wounds on the chest. Mahalo!

Yes, sounds like the crop. On the right side, between the breast & neck? Depending on the size of the chicken, can be much larger than a ping pong ball.
Imp

Back
Top Bottom