Chicken medications and treatments

Spiderduck

Songster
Jul 16, 2017
Peterborough uk
Hi
I was wondering what kind of chicken medications, treatments and preventative measures you can buy to keep your chickens well.

And if someone could explain the effectiveness of the medication and what it’s used for that would be great!

Keeping water and food stations clean. Making sure feed is fresh, clean up spills to ensure feed doesn't mold. Cleaning up excess poop. Having good ventilation in your coop.

All of these things are pretty good preventative measures to help keep your flock healthy.

There is an extremely long list of medications that may be used to treat an equally long list of conditions and illnesses.

Is there a particular disease, condition or medication that you are interested in? You are located in the UK so most antibiotics/medications are by prescription only. Getting a yearly fecal float to check for worms would be a good idea.

I have to ask - are you writing a book?

Keeping water and food stations clean. Making sure feed is fresh, clean up spills to ensure feed doesn't mold. Cleaning up excess poop. Having good ventilation in your coop.

All of these things are pretty good preventative measures to help keep your flock healthy.

There is an extremely long list of medications that may be used to treat an equally long list of conditions and illnesses.

Is there a particular disease, condition or medication that you are interested in? You are located in the UK so most antibiotics/medications are by prescription only. Getting a yearly fecal float to check for worms would be a good idea.

I have to ask - are you writing a book?

Nope not writing a book. I’m way inexperienced to do that.
I’m from the uk and I’ve kept hens for about 7 years now but was updating my medicines for the flock

I have never wormed my flock with medicines is that the same as feeding them those pellets with worm ex

The main thing is to know where to get something if you need it in a hurry. Getting healthy chicks from a hatchery and not bringing in started chicks or hens from other people is my most important advice. Harkers Coxoid, a brand of amprollium in the UK that treats coccidiosis in chickens is a good medicine to have on hand. If you supect or have worms diagnosed with a fecal float, Flubendazole is a very good wormer available in the UK to put in food for a week. Chick for mites or lice often, and feed a good age appropriate balanced feed. Having some vitamin with electrolyte medication can be helpful in an emergency or with a sick chicken.

Back
Top Bottom