Chicken missing feathers; sick or bullied?

ChickinNovice

Hatching
Nov 14, 2020
Hi! New chicken mom and new “Back Yard Chicken” user here. So if this is the wrong place to post this, please let me know.

One of my girls is missing feathers on the back of her neck and has a very pale comb compared to the others. I have four girls. They are semi free range (very large fenced in area). They have access to an open feeder with plenty of space for them to eat out of each other’s way. I give them treats occasionally to shake up the daily routine (apples, pumpkins, etc.). Over all I think they’re very pampered and more pets than farm animals. I bought them as chicks around April this year (2020), so I don’t think she is old enough to be molting. I live in the north so I am worried about the lack of feathers now that the snow is coming. She is the only one missing feathers. I have checked her skin for lice, mites, and whatever else could be there as well as the coop. I am at a complete loss. She is my sweetest hen so I don’t want to lose her. I’ve attached pictures. Any ideas? If this is the result of bullying, I’m pretty sure I know the offending hen, but I don’t know what more I can do to stop bullying.

Attachments

• 30444AF8-DBC1-415E-8AAC-BC7A0B6CDCDE.jpeg
    30444AF8-DBC1-415E-8AAC-BC7A0B6CDCDE.jpeg
    435.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 9056718D-A15F-4A8E-BBFE-F776B07D0255.jpeg
    9056718D-A15F-4A8E-BBFE-F776B07D0255.jpeg
    806 KB · Views: 7
  • DFCAEC6C-E821-43AE-921D-1ACCA32F5A64.jpeg
    DFCAEC6C-E821-43AE-921D-1ACCA32F5A64.jpeg
    819.1 KB · Views: 7
Looks like she's molting to me. It's that time of year (depending on where you live). Chickens lose old feathers and replace 'em with new ones. They get grumpy, go off lay, and feel kind of icky. Totally normal.

But it's always a good idea to check for lice/mites.

Def molting. I zoomed in. Those weird looking feathers are new growths.
Thanks! That makes me feel a lot better. I’d read that they start molting at 15-18 months and she is only 7-8 months. Should I do anything to protect her from the coming chill or just let nature handle it?

Hi! New chicken mom and new “Back Yard Chicken” user here. So if this is the wrong place to post this, please let me know.

One of my girls is missing feathers on the back of her neck and has a very pale comb compared to the others. I have four girls. They are semi free range (very large fenced in area). They have access to an open feeder with plenty of space for them to eat out of each other’s way. I give them treats occasionally to shake up the daily routine (apples, pumpkins, etc.). Over all I think they’re very pampered and more pets than farm animals. I bought them as chicks around April this year (2020), so I don’t think she is old enough to be molting. I live in the north so I am worried about the lack of feathers now that the snow is coming. She is the only one missing feathers. I have checked her skin for lice, mites, and whatever else could be there as well as the coop. I am at a complete loss. She is my sweetest hen so I don’t want to lose her. I’ve attached pictures. Any ideas? If this is the result of bullying, I’m pretty sure I know the offending hen, but I don’t know what more I can do to stop bullying.

Attachments

• 20201109_231642.jpg
    20201109_231642.jpg
    555.6 KB · Views: 6
Say molting here also.... I have 10 in molt right now, feathers everywhere lol. I usually bump up protein with a little grower mix in their mash and some mealworm or black army worms as treats. My one girl used to molt in January. I live in the Great Lakes region, so it gets cold. She's turning 7 years in March. Cold doesn't really bother chickens, but drafts do. Keep em outta drafts and they'll be fine, feathers or not.

I think she'll be fine. She's got flock mates to snuggle up to at night. As long as she has a draft-free place to sleep, I wouldn't worry.

I have one girl who melts twice a year - a Cochin who is, like, all feather. There is a constant supply of white feathers floating around my run/yard. I have another girl who is pushing 3 years old who is finally molting for the first time (she looked just awful the last year or so). I have one who drops all her feathers at once. Chickens are so funny...

Oh - pretty girl! She's going to look fantastic in a few weeks!

Say molting here also.... I have 10 in molt right now, feathers everywhere lol. I usually bump up protein with a little grower mix in their mash and some mealworm or black army worms as treats. My one girl used to molt in January. I live in the Great Lakes region, so it gets cold. She's turning 7 years in March. Cold doesn't really bother chickens, but drafts do. Keep em outta drafts and they'll be fine, feathers or not.
All 10 of mine are molting right now, too - lol! Looks like a feather pillow factory industrial accident in the run!

I’m in the same area! Thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom