1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken Mites and lice

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by brightonchicks, Jul 15, 2015.

1. brightonchicks

brightonchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2014
    Near Springfield,MO
    I am going to dust my pullets with seven powder but what do you use to clean the coop and rid it of these buggers? It is a small coop.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You can use sevin dust in the coop also.

3. brightonchicks

brightonchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2014
    Near Springfield,MO
    But don't I need a spray to get into all the cracks, something that will stick to or stay on the roost?

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida

2 people like this.
  5. LisaLouHoo

LisaLouHoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2013
    southwest Michigan

I did this today, so thanks @dawg53. It worked really well. I had the dust swirling in the air for at least 10 min! Now, hopefully the mites will be gone. I had to cull a pullet for failure to thrive and using a magnifying glass, I noticed the tiny red mites on her skin and they quickly got on my arms. I don't know how anyone would discover these unless you are able to have a tame enough hen and a magnifying glass handy to spread the feathers and have them hold still. I was glad I checked her out before getting rid of the body.

6. MissBokBok

MissBokBok Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2015
    In the future, you can go into the coop at night with a flashlight and shine it directly on their faces. After about a minute, you will see tiny red dots moving on their skin. I think the bugs come out in response to the light. As far as lice, look between their feathers while they're perched. You might see a very quick tan movement, but a better sign is clumps of spiderweb-looking things on the base of their feathers. These are the eggs. Hope that helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by