Chicken Mites, HELP

FoilpaperIQ

In the Brooder
Aug 9, 2021
I have two chickens and one rooster. They are very clean most of the time, and take regular dust baths. I have noticed that their coop and my garage are suddenly infested with chicken mites. I have patted them down with food-grade Diatomaceous Earth, which might work for them. What is causing an issue is that these mites are sticking to me and my family, and now we occasionally have a mite running across our arm. So please anyone, who may have dealt with a similar situation, please help!! I have dusted all my backyard area and some of my garage with Diatomaceous Earth just today, and might be effective after 2 days. Plz halp

I use permethrin too.
Permethrin10ConcentrateMix.jpg
casportponyPermethrinChart.jpg

Attachments

• PoultryDust.jpg
    PoultryDust.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 6
  • MartinsPen&PoultrySpray.jpg
    MartinsPen&PoultrySpray.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 8
  • PermethrinSprayRev(2).jpg
    PermethrinSprayRev(2).jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 6
  • PermethrinSpray.jpg
    PermethrinSpray.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Permethrin10Concentrate.jpg
    Permethrin10Concentrate.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 7
I have two chickens and one rooster. They are very clean most of the time, and take regular dust baths. I have noticed that their coop and my garage are suddenly infested with chicken mites. I have patted them down with food-grade Diatomaceous Earth, which might work for them. What is causing an issue is that these mites are sticking to me and my family, and now we occasionally have a mite running across our arm. So please anyone, who may have dealt with a similar situation, please help!! I have dusted all my backyard area and some of my garage with Diatomaceous Earth just today, and might be effective after 2 days. Plz halp
Permethrin spray works best! Remove all their bedding and spray everything thoroughly and let it dry completely before you return them to their area. You can dust the birds with python dust or garden and poultry dust. Both products can be found at tractor supply or online. Repeat treatment every 7 days until they’re gone!

Unfortunately DE is not effective against and infestation.

You can find Permethrin dust or spray at stores like TSC. Treat the coop (clean out bedding), garage and chickens in 7-10 day intervals.
Thank you! I'll try that, but can I use DE on a regular basis like every week after the infestation is gone?

Thank you! I'll try that, but can I use DE on a regular basis like every week after the infestation is gone?
In my opinion DE is worthless. I know some people swear by it and if it has worked for them then that's good but I never had any luck with it. I had some birds that were molting but they weren't getting their feathers back in. I checked them over and discovered they were loaded with mites and some had lice. One bird was loaded with lice and had a bunch of nits on her neck feathers. I used a fine toothed comb and got a lot of them off of her. The first thing I tried was DE and instead of getting better they were getting worse. I got some of the permethrin premixed spray and sprayed the birds and then I bought some concentrate and treated all of the coops because then I found some in another coop so I treated them all. I did thorough treatments spraying everywhere in the coops, every crack and crevice with a gallon sprayer with a wand to reach the hard to reach areas. I did weekly treatments for 3 or 4 weeks. I also used the poultry dust in the nest boxes. With most insecticides it's not a good idea to try to use it as a preventative as the pests can develop a resistance to it. I do use the poultry dust with the permethrin in it in the nest boxes when I refresh them. There is no egg withdrawal period so the eggs are safe to eat. Good luck...

As you've found, DE is not effective. Why spend money on something that isn't working?

If you have a bag of DE left, you can work some of it into a dry area of your run every once in a while until you use it up.
Some use it in their garden beds to help control slugs and such, but it does need to be reapplied after rain.

Back
Top Bottom