Egyptian Fayoumi mix breed project... ideas?

TwistedTayy

Songster
Apr 30, 2021
Douglasville, GA
So my primary focus is my ducks and geese (I love them) but my SO very much enjoys chickens so I thought to myself that instead of doing purebreds, I would try to create a new mix breed for a small homestead in the south (hot humid summers and mild but cold winters). Id like something that is great at free-ranging, quiet, docile, predator resistant, somewhat broody, above average layer, heat tolerant (It only gets below 30 a handful of times over a couple months) and a small size or bantam. Color and egg color are not important if you think in terms of them surviving free ranging or egg production.

For this I started with 2 male Egyptian Fayoumi and 3 females. In the same order, to meet the minimum, I also got 2 "Green Queen" (unsure genders but I think 1M1F) and 2 Mille Fleur pullets. The green queens are a newer hybrid and I have no idea what's in them..

Being raised with the EF, the others are quite wild and flighty which is a risk I new would happen though the MF are still quite docile and my favorites of the bunch.

The EF roosters are driving me (and I'm sure my neighbors) crazy... crowing after dark and all hours. They are also super spazzy. I wanted to keep them originally to crossbreed with all the females but they are too big for the MF anyways. Long story short.. they will be gone soon. I won't try to replace until the early spring, hatching eggs only and artificially incubated (with ducks and geese I find that makes them more used to people).

What breeds should I be considering to tone down the bad things about the Fayoumi but are also not too big or small to mate? I love the look of the fayoumi. I used to have Old English Games as a child and loved them but I haven't been able to find the color I remember buying (got it at a poultry show). I also dont know if thats the right size either. The silver ducking color looks like it may hold true with the Fayoumi coloring but I dont really know if their personalities would complement in the way I want.

Anyways, open to suggestions. No hybrids please (or at least no NEW hybrid breeds).

you can't go wrong with a silver duckwing OEG, and it compliment the Fayoumi color on the F1s.

Egyptian Fayoumi are Birchen based(ER), Silver Duckwing OEG are wildtype based, ER is dominant over e+(the F1s will be ER/e+), the F1 males will also be hen feathered and display a pattern very close to the Fayoumi

Last edited:
you can't go wrong with a silver duckwing OEG, and it compliment the Fayoumi color on the F1s.

Egyptian Fayoumi are Birchen based(ER), Silver Duckwing OEG are wildtype based, ER is dominant over e+(the F1s will be ER/e+), the F1 males will also be hen feathered and display a pattern very close to the Fayoumi
That’s interesting and really good but I’m wondering about the personality. From what I have read it doesn’t sound like they would be a good match with the flighty nature of the fayoumi but perhaps the Dutch bantam.. they also have a silver duckwing color and seem like they have a good personality

Back
Top Bottom