1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicken moat around a garden? :D

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MetalSmitten, May 2, 2010.

1. MetalSmitten

MetalSmitten Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    bloomington, indiana
    So we were tryin' to figure out what we want to do to protect our new garden space from the deer, and it occurred to me that if we're already thinking about fencing it, what if we went ahead and made a narrow hallway-esque covered chicken run encircling the entire garden to make a "chicken moat" around it? [​IMG] Hopefully it would keep the deer out, AND the chickens could eat any bugs trying to crawl their way into my veggies. AND then after the harvest, we can just let the chickens into the actual garden to clean it up and fertilize it for next year! Has anyone ever done anything like this? Is this a crazy smart idea or just crazy? [​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2010
  2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

3. MetalSmitten

Apr 11, 2010
    bloomington, indiana
    that link didn't work for me? sorry!

but yay!

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:That's odd it works for me. Who knows that's computers for ya.

Go to the top of the page

click on the word search in the blue bar

Keyword is moat

Topic subject only

all forums

submit button is at trhe bottom of the page

I think there was 4 hits on past threads

If that doesn't work repost here and I'll link each thread.

Good luck

Last edited: May 2, 2010
  5. Stumpy

Stumpy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    I've always loved that idea! It will probably remain a dream, though. It seems like it would be a great way to keep bugs off the plants.

6. MetalSmitten

Apr 11, 2010
    bloomington, indiana
    haha aww, i thought i'd made it up!

7. calista

calista Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2010
  8. Hamptons06

Hamptons06 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2009
    North Atlanta
    Haha!! That's totally awesome!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. kidcallous

kidcallous Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    Central Florida
    well if you didnt think of the idea, I still thank you for posting it. I have been going round and round trying to figure out an affordable way to keep chickens.. We *DO* have a garden area that is fenced in, and there is a swath of grass about 3 feet wide going around the perimeter of the garden, in a square. Would definitely be easier to let chickies go free than to get the lawnmower in there once a week...

Now after reading this posting, I'm going to ask my DH if we could do that! We have extra fencing and posts, and it would definitely make things alot cheaper..

If we did that, all I'd have to do is build/buy a coop for the girls to go at night... We planned on only getting 3 chickens so i think it just might work..

Going to check those links for some more information!

10. laughaha

laughaha Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    I've been thinking about doing something like this for awhile now as an additional run. I would love to see pics if anyone has done this before.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by