Chicken molting/diarrhea

thank you for your advice, i picked up some monistat 7 and mixed it with a little bit of greek yogurt(she didn’t want it off my finger). when i picked her up to take her in clear liquid came out of her beak so definitely sour crop. i’m about to give her some goat dewormer soaked in bread as soon as she finishes her yogurt treat.

here is what her poop is looking like

Attachments

• 74AA528E-7EF5-42C1-A749-8FB3162914E9.jpeg
    74AA528E-7EF5-42C1-A749-8FB3162914E9.jpeg
    672.3 KB · Views: 3
it’s just coming to my now but @Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock should i attempt to get her to throw up of liquid is coming out of her beak? i’ve had a chicken have a seizure and die in my arms before so i think i’d be to anxious to do it, but if it’s the right thing to do i could try. it only happened once and it was while i picked her up to take her in for yogurt, should i leave it be?

No don’t make her throw up. They can easily choke to death. Do you notice a bad or sour odor yet? She might just have a slow crop or just beginning to have a problem. Be careful not to press on the crop when picking her up or handling her. This is why they sometimes will spit up if it is squeezed when full. Try offering a tsp of chilled coconut oil cut into small pieces to peck.

No don’t make her throw up. They can easily choke to death. Do you notice a bad or sour odor yet? She might just have a slow crop or just beginning to have a problem. Be careful not to press on the crop when picking her up or handling her. This is why they sometimes will spit up if it is squeezed when full. Try offering a tsp of chilled coconut oil cut into small pieces to peck.
no sour odor, i was thinking a slow crop due to worms, because i missed my window to worm before molt, and about this time last year one of our chickens had a pretty bad case. i believe it is progressing into sour crop because of a blocked intestine

update two: she would have some monostat but wasn’t feeling well enough for any dewormer, even thinking i’ll wake up early tomorrow and dose her with dewormer and then later in the day dose her, so there’s at least over 12 hours in between doses.

update: today she’s rapidly gotten worse, i originally kept her with the flock but separated her because she was stressed in the cold. she’s losing strength, and i gave her some mash but she is barely eating. if she survives through the day i will put her in the coop tonight so she doesn’t die alone, but i’ve been treating her and if anything she’s gotten worse. such a sweet girl and one of my original flock. going to miss her sm. she’s in a little quarantine bin with some mash and fresh water. while her crop has gotten a little better, she is no longer pooping and when she is it is green-blue and watery. also, it seems like she’s trying to poop but can’t, which is concerning. it’s like every time she takes a breath in her vent area expands and contracts more than normal. finally, her crop is half liquid and half solid food, like there’s a clear separation when you feel the crop to what feels normal and what feels like it’s full of water. just a thought.

Will she take some bits of scrambled egg or even raw egg? Electrolytes, Poultry NutriDrench, or room temperature gatorade would be helpful.

Back
Top Bottom