Chicken Molting question

JAMIEZ71

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 26, 2013
I just got an Easter Egg Chicken (don't know the technical name) from a neighbor this week. It is molting. It is now losing the tail feathers. How long can I expect before I start seeing some colored eggs? He told me a month to 6 weeks. Still learning all the chicken stuff. Only had my others since april of this year. Thanks ahead of time.

I just got an Easter Egg Chicken (don't know the technical name) from a neighbor this week. It is molting. It is now losing the tail feathers. How long can I expect before I start seeing some colored eggs? He told me a month to 6 weeks. Still learning all the chicken stuff. Only had my others since april of this year. Thanks ahead of time.

Feathers will generally begin growing in from a few days to a few weeks after a feather is lost. It will take from 21 days to several months (depends on the size and type of feather) for each individual feather to completely grow in. Molting itself usually takes 2-4 months in total. To help your new hen grow in her feathers faster, you can offer high protein treats like wet cat food, scrambled or hard-boiled eggs, mealworms, and other insects.

Cool, I feed a lot of their eggs back to them as of now. What my kids don't eat off their plate or I sometimes even cook them just for a treat.

Back
Top Bottom