Chicken Mom-to-be in NC

nczookeeper

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 30, 2010
Hi, I'm Vickie

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? I am so brand new to chickens, and so excited! My brother is putting the finishing touches on a chicken tractor he's building for me(showed him pics of ones I liked on the internet) and it should be done by Wednesday
smile.png

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? None, but plan on 4

(3) What breeds do you have? Uncertain about breed(s) still reading - so many choices. Want docile birds who aren't noisey, and are good layers. If anyone has suggestions, I'm all ears! Also trying to decide whether to get baby chicks or a bit older, so reading up on pros and cons to that.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com? Google

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? I confess I am addicted to the game Castle Age on Facebook - so I suppose that's my hobby.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. I live in central NC, I've been married for 15 years, no children - but we have furry children (soon to add feathered children to our family) I'm a canine behaviorist, and an AKC CGC Evaluator, so I'm very passionate about dogs - currently have four. I do quite a bit of volunteer work, all of it for non-profit organizations dedicated to humane welfare.

Last edited:
smile.png
Thank you for the warm welcome. I've read a ton about owning chickens over the past few months, but there is nothing like being able to ask someone specific questions. I'll become good friends with the "search" feature, I'm sure.

Hi from Lincoln County NC!! we have a good assortment of chickens here and I have found that they all can be noisy at times. but docile would most definitely have to be the Buff Orphington. and nice big eggs too! Leghorns are egg machines as well, but not really snuggle friendly (that I have noticed anyways). my barred rocks and red sex links are the noisiest of the flock!

what part of central NC are you?

Back
Top Bottom