Chicken momma by default

ChickenMomma19

In the Brooder
Jul 10, 2016
Hello everyone!
I came into this poultry thing pretty reluctantly. I did not want anything to do with it. My boyfriend of almost 5 years has grown up with poultry his entire life. He LOVES it. I did not. I remember our first four chickens. His mom asked us to keep them when she went out of town for a few days. Reluctantly I agreed. She came back and Austin, my boyfriend, got attached to the chicks. We kept them. Kickstand, Pablo, Bandit, & Blue were their names. Blue got very sick and died on my chest a week later. :( That's when I started to get attached to the other three. Just as luck would have it- we had one hen and two roosters. Pablo was 'mine' she is our hen. So I got ducks, I got 4 anacona's. Then we got two mallard ducks, and one of those died. Bandit didn't make it through the winter.
This year I got 6 chicks, 5 poults, I incubated about 2 dozen eggs, and I have two momma ducks sitting on their nests.
My love for these animals has grown so much. They are my pets- even if all my friends think I'm crazy because I lay in the grass with my ducks & chickens for an hour a day, I love them. I cry when we lose one. People around here don't understand me, "chickens are food not pets." But my chickens are just like my dogs to me. So looking back I'm am glad we took those chicks for the weekend. Now Pablo's favorite place to perch is my arm. I am so blessed to have experienced so much life and love!
Three days left in the incubator and I am gunna have ducklings! YAY!!

Hello everyone!
I came into this poultry thing pretty reluctantly. I did not want anything to do with it. My boyfriend of almost 5 years has grown up with poultry his entire life. He LOVES it. I did not. I remember our first four chickens. His mom asked us to keep them when she went out of town for a few days. Reluctantly I agreed. She came back and Austin, my boyfriend, got attached to the chicks. We kept them. Kickstand, Pablo, Bandit, & Blue were their names. Blue got very sick and died on my chest a week later. :( That's when I started to get attached to the other three. Just as luck would have it- we had one hen and two roosters. Pablo was 'mine' she is our hen. So I got ducks, I got 4 anacona's. Then we got two mallard ducks, and one of those died. Bandit didn't make it through the winter.
This year I got 6 chicks, 5 poults, I incubated about 2 dozen eggs, and I have two momma ducks sitting on their nests.
My love for these animals has grown so much. They are my pets- even if all my friends think I'm crazy because I lay in the grass with my ducks & chickens for an hour a day, I love them. I cry when we lose one. People around here don't understand me, "chickens are food not pets." But my chickens are just like my dogs to me. So looking back I'm am glad we took those chicks for the weekend. Now Pablo's favorite place to perch is my arm. I am so blessed to have experienced so much life and love!
Three days left in the incubator and I am gunna have ducklings! YAY!!
Welcome to BYC. You sound like you have a sweet heart. Alot of people do not understand chickens as pets but at least you have the fore knowledge of not having chickens. So now you can understand why people do not see chickens as we do.

Nice BirdGirl, you are a feathered friend friend too. I started out with 10 baby chicks and now I have 30 chickens. They are very exciting to watch at different ages. I have 11 three weeks old bantams in a brooder. One of the EEs likes to fly onto the top ledge of the brooder and sit. I am sending a pic of them.

Attachments

• WP_20170503_09_19_03_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170503_09_19_03_Pro.jpg
    378.4 KB · Views: 8
Welcome to BYC. You sound like you have a sweet heart. Alot of people do not understand chickens as pets but at least you have the fore knowledge of not having chickens. So now you can understand why people do not see chickens as we do.
Thank you so much! I am learning so much! What a great site!

How awesome! I actually had my first Pip today! I'm so nervous! Any last minute tips? This is the most intense thing I think I've ever done! How great! I can't wait. Ive been peeping at the incubator all day! ❤️

Oh i hope all goes well. I never hatched ducks before. But there are sites here on BYC that can tell you all about hatching eggs. I do know that patience is a virtue : ) Let me know how all goes ChickenMomma.

Back
Top Bottom