Chicken mommy

lcmidwife

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 5, 2014
Hi all. I've lurked on your site for a while but finally joined. I've loved having chickens for the last 5 years. Our 1st year we started out with laying hens. When one went broody, we put some fertilized eggs underneath her and let her hatch them. Here's a video of it.
It was so special for my kids. Each year since then we've been letting the one hen who goes broody fulfill her dream to become a mommy but each time since the first, we got smart and ordered our pullets and placed them up underneath the mama after 21 days.

We've lost a few birds over the years, and saved a few. One great save in particular was for our Americana "Easter." She was egg bound and after trying a perineal massage with olive oil and a warm soak in a tub, I did an episiotomy on her which helped her and saved her life. She's still with us today. Now were nursing our doofy looking leghorn through a case of flystrike. Hopefully she makes it.

Glad to be part of such a knowledgeable community of fellow chicken lovers.

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

Feel free to ask lots of questions! We're all here to help.
smile.png

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Sorry about your Leghorn. I hope someone can help you in our emergency section.

But we do welcome you to our flock! Make yourself at home here and enjoy your birds!

Back
Top Bottom