juliamichell

Chirping
Dec 7, 2019
Hi,

I really need some advice please.

It is just beginning to get very cold here in France, 21 December and my Silkie hen has started to moult.

I am unsure whether this is a normal moult or whether she is stressed since introducing a new companion 2 weeks ago.

Her companion died a year ago, he was a very quiet, mild character, a Black Polish bantam. The cockerel I have just introduced is a white Silkie, alot larger than I expected when I collected him, twice her size, and very noisy although mild mannered and seems to follow her if he can. She ignored him at first, refusing his advances and still, she prefers to spend time with me in the house. She has just started to sleep with him but this is in her egg laying nest. He kind of took it over. I have given her another place to lay her eggs but she ignores it. She stopped laying a few days ago and has started to moult prolifically. Could this be normal or could she be stressed or both. I have been considering rehoming this cockerel in favour of looking for a hen companion instead. She is a very tame bird kept as a pet more than anything but I don't want to remove him if, in actual fact, this is healthier for her if you see what I mean. Thank you for any advice on what to do.

Hmmmm, She hasn't molted this year yet? If she has then this is stress molting, especially coupled with the stop in laying.
Roosters have only one thing on their mind....mating. A 1:1 ratio is a bit harsh on the hen, he may try to mate with her constantly.
If you have available room, I would get another 2 hens and introduce them to her. Remove him to temporary quarters for a couple of weeks before you re-introduce him.

Back
Top Bottom