Chicken Moved House. Won't lay?

bradfordann

Hatching
10 Years
Aug 18, 2009
Hi from Oregon where I am a newbie chicken keeper. (And thanks to those who welcomed me to this forum a few weeks ago!)

We have purchased 2 13-week-old pullets (a Buff Orpie and a Wyandotte) and a 23-week-old Sex Link whom we call "Queen Flora."

Flora was laying at her (local) chicken breeder's home, started just after 21 weeks. By 22-weeks she was laying daily. We have had her for a week and she hasn't laid or shown interest in nesting and nesting boxes.

I made certain to provide the same feed that the breeder used for continuity in their diets (layer, a bit or cracked corn for scratch now and then, shell). They browse in their yard and look for bugs and plants. My kids are allowed to give them small amounts of garden and produce scraps (peelings and "treats" such as a blackberry or two, a grape, etc.)

They have a decent-sized coop with a roost that they seem to like, three 1'x1' nesting boxes that we fill with straw, lots of light and ventilation. Their litter is wood shavings.

We keep things fresh and clean. These hens are very sweet and docile and like to have our company and like to be petted.

Flora seems content and acclimated to her new home.

Why would she stop laying? Is this chicken stress? How long would be an unusual amount of time before a "moved" hen starts laying again?

Humph.
hmm.png

Thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom