Chicken Mutiny

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kcjones, Dec 12, 2011.

1. kcjones

kcjones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Haven't had any problem herding peeps,,, till yesterday. They would not fear the chicken stick, they didn't fear being picked up an carried around, they would not be herded in to coop. They just walked past me. Think i should stop making them oatmeal with scrambled eggs in the morning? [​IMG]

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Plan B is to save treat time until you want to coax them back into the run. My flock has gotten into the routine of going back into the run when I throw little pieces bread in there.

3. kcjones

May 2, 2011
    I tried getting them back in with treats,got most of them,every time i got last one back in 2 more flew out. with the cold weather i haven't let them out as much as they are used too.

4. Athenzchick

Athenzchick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2010
    Athens Ohio
    My girls will go anywhere for crack. Er, I mean cracked corn [​IMG]

5. kcjones

May 2, 2011
    can't believe i'm gonna let them out again [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Food....chickens are all about the food.....What I do is I get a scoop of scratch, and I shake the scoop and I call the girls! They hear that scratch shakin' around in that container, and they come running! So I throw handfuls out all over the run, and the get busy eating! Then I lock 'em up! Works like a charm every time!

Gotta save those treats until before bedtime.

Sharon

7. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Yeah the "chick chick chick chick TTTRRREEEAAATTSSS" thing works about 75% of the time - I throw down the scratch inside the run and they dash inside for it. Then there will be that one loolygagger who hangs around the outside door just close enough for you to almost grab her and then darts away when you make the reach. UGH! Then you have to chase her around while opening the door and trying not to let the others out again. I can usually get my kids to help with the chicken round up - but not always. Chicks can keep you fit that way - or cause you to have a fit? [​IMG]

8. Ole and Lena

Ole and Lena Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Wright Co Minnesota
    Darkness always works for me. If I need to move'em around the yard, I just bring with Loki the golden retriever. Chasing chickens is great fun for him! He really lives up to his name, at least he's well trained not to finish the chase!

9. Darlasmum

Darlasmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2009
    La Crescenta, CA
    Teenagers- They never want to come home at a decent hour!!

10. auntie hattie

auntie hattie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Thanks for the good laugh. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by