Chicken Mystery

AraucanaMama

In the Brooder
May 30, 2022
My chickens have a history of being escape artists, but this time I have no idea what happened...

A few days ago, I went out to my garden to find one of my Silver Laced Wyandottes inside it.
The garden bed is surrounded by 4 foot tall chicken wire that has no holes under it, (I checked), and I always close the opening to the chicken wire before I leave it unattended. This particular chicken also has clipped wings, as she tends to fly into places she isn't supposed to be.

I went to put her back into the chicken coop and examined it for any holes in the chicken wire or any new holes dug under the chicken coop, but found nothing. When ever I notice a hole going under the coop, I cover it with bricks, pavers, or a cinder block to make sure nothing can get in or out of the coop.

Another thing that concerns me about this is the fact that I am not letting my chickens out side of their coop at the moment due to a bird flu epidemic in my state.
Anyone have any ideas that could help solve this mystery?
Since this has happened, no chicken has left the coop in this same mysterious fashion.

Have a nice day!

Ever seen a chicken climb a fence? I've had a few chickens that'd do that. Often it was because something spooked them.

As far as them not getting out, a covered run might work well. ;)

Ever seen a chicken climb a fence? I've had a few chickens that'd do that. Often it was because something spooked them.

As far as them not getting out, a covered run might work well. ;)
The run has a roof, because where I live it is very very wet. Hadn't thought of her climbing into the garden.

Did you clip both of her wings? I've seen them continue to escape with both wings clipped. I only clip one because it seems to upset their balance and gets better results

Back
Top Bottom