Chicken Myths/Rumors: True or False, Please Share!

Pics
If you want to use ACV at 5% acidity, only use one teaspoon per gallon of water. I have used ACV with or without the "mother" periodically with my chickens and my chickens have never suffered any ill effects from it. This is coming from someone that typically hatches 200+ chicks a year and raises most of them for self use. I've been raising chickens for 22+ years.

Myth: Apple cider vinegar is a safe cure all. Especially for crop issues.

Source: various I’ve seen it posted on BYC and other chicken sites numerous times.

True/false: in my experience false.

Evidence: I’ve put it my chickens water twice. Both times I had multiple hens come down with sour crop in less than a week. Never had an issue with sour crop before or since.
It is antibacterial though. Also, what type did you use? The type with 'the mother' in it? That's the good stuff.
Edit: Sorry, I didn't see @Lacy Duckwing's posts. :rolleyes:

Myth/Rumor: Only roosters crow.
Story: It is often assumed that ONLY roosters crow. They like to crow when things are safe, to contact other roosters, to say their territory, when they're happy, and I've heard they also crow when there's danger.
True or False: False
Evidence: Whereas most roosters crow, occasionally you'll get a crowing hen. Unlike roosters, hens have other reasons for crowing. Hens crow when they're alone. They crow to try reconnect with their flock mates, and sometimes when they're broody. Some will crow while they're with their flock, but not always. From what I've seen, it's more common for bantam hens to crow, then standard hens.

Here is a video of a bantam hen named Lolly crowing below. She'd often crow when she was separated from her mother and occasionally her brothers.

I had 2 that crowed years apart

Back
Top Bottom