Chicken Myths/Rumors: True or False, Please Share!

Pics

Lacy Duckwing

𝓓𝓾𝓬𝓴𝔀𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓟𝓱𝓸𝓽𝓸𝓰𝓻𝓪𝓹𝓱𝔂
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Nov 6, 2017
Maine
My Coop
My Coop
This thread is for all the chicken myths and rumors that we have all heard. Some MIGHT be true, whereas others, most likely not. Please be kind if you find someone who disagrees with you, and provide evidence (if possible) to back up your statement. Feel free to share as many chicken Myths/Rumors that you want to! Hopefully there'll be a chance to learn something new, and have a good time as well. :)

~Form~

Myth/Rumor:
Story:
True or False:
Evidence:

Here's the first chicken Myth/Rumor I'm wanting to share.:

Myth/Rumor: Broody hens produce milk.
Story: I read somewhere (and I can't remember where) that broody hens produce milk for their chicks. They pluck their chest feathers (true) and have milk droplets come off their skin (false) to feed their chicks.
True or False: False
Evidence: I've had plenty of hens hatch out chicks. If this was true, the chicks would be often wet when I pick them up from under their mother. Also, their down might not be so fluffy either.

I’m not sure how to complete the form..I’m a tech phobia, it takes me a while..but I’m confused about frost bite on combs/wattles, some say cover with Vaseline to protect…others say DON’T Touch…True or False?
That's ok. You don't need to fill out the form if you don't want to. ;)

I've never heard of the don't touch before, but as far as Vaseline.... I've heard several times of people putting Vaseline on their roosters' combs where later, they find the roosters' combs frozen. I'd say using Vaseline is false. :)

That's ok. You don't need to fill out the form if you don't want to. ;)

I've never heard of the don't touch before, but as far as Vaseline.... I've heard several times of people putting Vaseline on their roosters' combs where later, they find the roosters' combs frozen. I'd say using Vaseline is false. :)
I think you're supposed to put Vaseline on a chicken's comb before they get frostbite on super cold nights or whatever..... it helps prevent it.

Some chickens are really good at math.
True, I have a hen that balances my checkbook.
Full disclosure: It is easy for her since I rarely use checks now days....but still pretty impressive.
This is actually scientifically proven, believe it or not. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom