Chicken Myths/Rumors: True or False, Please Share!

Pics
Myth/Rumor: Chickens are girls
Story: A lot of people I talk to ask me "Is that a rooster or a chicken?". Maybe it's just me...but that annoys me soooo much! So many people think a chicken is a girl and a rooster is a boy.
True or False: false
Evidence: Chickens are not a sex, they are a type of bird. They are a subspecies of the genus Gallus,known as Gallus gallus domesticus, and to have a self-perpetuating species, you have to have both males and females. If all chickens were females, there would be no more chickens since they couldn't produce anymore.

To make it easier to describe them, we call female chickens hens or pullets and male chickens are called cocks, cockerels, or roosters, but they are all chickens.
You took the words right out of my mouth! Just the question is why? :rolleyes:

Myth/Rumor: Easter Eggers (EEs) Lay Purple Eggs.
Myth/rumor: chickens lay pink eggs
Story: some people say easter eggers lay pink eggs
True or false: false that pink color is a heavy bloom on a brown egg if rinsed you will see the true color under it
I get those occasionally, but there is really no such thing as a purple egg.
I agree with above comments that Easter Eggers/other breeds do not lay pink or purple eggs, unless they are laying a brown egg with a heavy bloom. But on that note, technically all egg colors are genetically either blue or white only. (Same as all chicken feather colors are genetically only either black or red.) So if there are no pink or purple eggs, there are likewise technically no green or brown eggs either.

But, some brown eggs do appear pink and purple. And as long as the bloom is not scrubbed off, the bloom will reappear when the egg dries. (At least that has been my personal experience.)

In photo below, I spy purple and pink eggs!! Purple-tinted eggs were laid by Welbars, in case anyone wants to know.:)
20210401_210544~2.jpg

I agree with above comments that Easter Eggers/other breeds do not lay pink or purple eggs, unless they are laying a brown egg with a heavy bloom. But on that note, technically all egg colors are genetically either blue or white only. (Same as all chicken feather colors are genetically only either black or red.) So if there are no pink or purple eggs, there are likewise technically no green or brown eggs either.

But, some brown eggs do appear pink and purple. And as long as the bloom is not scrubbed off, the bloom will reappear when the egg dries. (At least that has been my personal experience.)

In photo below, I spy purple and pink eggs!! Purple-tinted eggs were laid by Welbars, in case anyone wants to know.:)
View attachment 2972806
Wow! What breeds lay the green speckled? YOU HAVE GORGEOUS EGGS!

View attachment 2972806
Here's a fact to add to that: Green or Olive colored eggs are a mix of brown and blue. The brown and blue pigment is mixed. It's been awhile since I've looked, but if you notice when you crack open a green egg, the inside isn't green at all.
Also, all eggs are secretly white! What makes a white egg is LACK OF PIGMENT. The white eggers have no pigment, so the eggs come out white. On a brown egger, the pigment is added after the shell is created. (One white eggers, that step is skipped.) On darker brown eggs, if you can catch the egg, sometimes you can whip off some of the brown pigment.

if you notice when you crack open a green egg, the inside isn't green at all.
Everything you said is correct, including yes the inside of a green egg is blue. Except that now breeders have managed to create green egg layers that lay true, with their progeny also laying green eggs. (I haven't looked into that to know what color the green egg shells are on the inside. And I'm no genetics expert in any way, shape or form. But neither am I color-blind, and I know a purple or pink egg when I see one!😄

Everything you said is correct, including yes the inside of a green egg is blue. Except that now breeders have managed to create green egg layers that lay true, with their progeny also laying green eggs. (I haven't looked into that to know what color the green egg shells are on the inside. And I'm no genetics expert in any way, shape or form. But neither am I color-blind, and I know a purple or pink egg when I see one!😄
Cool! Like the Whiten True Green?

I never thought about the spotted/speckled Welsummer eggs looking like big quail eggs. But you are right the colors are very similiar!
They are very pretty! I’m happy you have them! I just get normal colored, normal colored with white “speckles” and blue eggs. And I won’t forget the olive eggs.

Back
Top Bottom