Chicken Myths/Rumors: True or False, Please Share!

What do they think of green and blue eggs? šŸ˜³
I had a customer who told me her husband refused to eat green eggs, but when she cracked and cooked them without him seeing the shells, he never knew the difference. But then one day he caught her. and then refused to eat any of my eggs at all. Next time I saw him I asked him "Why don't you like green eggs?" He replied " Well why are they green; is it because they eat grass? I've always wished I would have asked him why he thinks some eggs are brown.

I had a customer who told me her husband refused to eat green eggs, but when she cracked and cooked them without him seeing the shells, he never knew the difference. But then one day he caught her. and then refused to eat any of my eggs at all. Next time I saw him I asked him "Why don't you like green eggs?" He replied " Well why are they green; is it because they eat grass? I've always wished I would have asked him why he thinks some eggs are brown.
Oh my goodness, that's just too funny!!!

Anyway, im grateful to see the recent discussions that have taken place here re "myths, rumors, true or false, without anyone attacking those who disagree.
Totally ok with respectful disagreement! I was thinking of ā€œbiteā€ as chomping down with teethā€¦which chickens donā€™t have. šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ But beaks can be just as sharp! ā¤ļø

And Her mother wont try them because the yolks look funny. They are orange.
I watched a neighbor offer some eggs from her chickens to another neighbor who had fallen on some hard times financially. It was a generous offer but the lady being offered the eggs was super awkward and said she would rather buy eggs from the store. I was flabbergasted.

I watched a neighbor offer some eggs from her chickens to another neighbor who had fallen on some hard times financially. It was a generous offer but the lady being offered the eggs was super awkward and said she would rather buy eggs from the store. I was flabbergasted.
WOW, talk about a serious lack of gratitude. She should have at least took the eggs and then disposed of them secretly if she didn't want them. Besides, where does she think the grocery store eggs come from, Amazon?

WOW, talk about a serious lack of gratitude. She should have at least took the eggs and then disposed of them secretly if she didn't want them. Besides, where does she think the grocery store eggs come from, Amazon?
She might have been awkward because she didn't want people thinking she couldn't support herself if she couldn't afford eggs

She might have been awkward because she didn't want people thinking she couldn't support herself if she couldn't afford eggs
Gratitude for others thoughtfulness should still outweigh her personal ego. That is why this country is taking a nose dive down is because true gratitude, amongst other polite traits, seem to be non existent anymore. I prefer to look out for my neighbors and help when needed. I respect your opinion though.

Fun thread!

I canā€™t think of any myths that havenā€™t been covered already.

My roosters crow wheneverā€¦ though I sleep through it, so I thought they only crowed during the day until my hubby & kids slept in hammocks in the shed which is about 2ā€ away from the coop. Turns out they crow starting at 3am!

Several of my chickens could ā€œfly.ā€ They didnā€™t take off and go south for the winter or even make it up into the trees to roost (though Iā€™ve heard of bantams that can). Mine could get over the five foot tall fence even with one or both wings clipped. Since the hawk attack in oct 2020, we have fencing on the top of both runs, putting an end to flying out of the penā€¦ they still like to run and fly around each morning when they think Iā€™m coming with treats!

I get blue, green, cream, tan, purple, brown, speckled, dark brown, & white eggs from my girls. The blue & green ones are blue on the inside. The rest are white inside. My Maran has the pinkish bloom over the dark brown eggs more so at the beginning of each laying cycle thus the purple eggs.

Roosters arenā€™t needed for eggs, of course. My one neighbor refuses eggs from us. She once cracked a chick out into her skillet and now swears off backyard eggs completely. That egg did not come from us as sheā€™s never taken any from me. No amount of reassuring her that I collect eggs daily & therefore they canā€™t develop into embryos at all (unless she would put them in an incubator) will convince her to try again.

Iā€™m not sure about ACV for animals (though I do use it as well as copper sulfate, and I also use antibiotic prescription meds, Denagard, Corid, etc when needed), but I will stand behind saying that ACV with the mother (homemade or Braggā€™s brand) šŸ’Æ percent of the time cures my stomach pains!! Iā€™ve had gastritis five times (diagnosed by an upper gi the first time) and random heartburn or reflux as well. It cures them all. I take 1 tablespoon in a cup of warm water with a little honey to make it taster. Plus honey is anti microbial too (it lasts for thousands of years like in the pharaohā€™s tombs)!

I think my chickens are smart. Not as smart as my outdoor bunny or outside kitties all of whom are potty trained. Sigh. I wish the chickens could be potty trained. Even my horse pooped & peed out & under her stall door during the weeks she was boarded for training. šŸ˜‚

Back
Top Bottom