Chicken Myths/Rumors: True or False, Please Share!

Pics
Right. Almost always one will get the hint, give up and run for the hills. Some hang in there too long.
I haven't raised games so I can't say how determined they are, but most DP, egg and meat breeds will come to some understanding before death.
The game breeds was bred to fight to the death back when cock fighting was allowed. The Blue Hens of Delaware was supposedly some of the best cock fighters.
As far as the games, I used to own OEG bantams. 2-3 times my rooster Chester nearly died in a fight. When he was fighting with a rooster that he THOUGHT he could beat, he'd fight to the death. If it was a larger rooster like my Orpington rooster, he'd fight, but give up before he got hurt.

The game breeds was bred to fight to the death back when cock fighting was allowed. The Blue Hens of Delaware was supposedly some of the best cock fighters.
As far as the games, I used to own OEG bantams. 2-3 times my rooster Chester nearly died in a fight. When he was fighting with a rooster that he THOUGHT he could beat, he'd fight to the death. If it was a larger rooster like my Orpington rooster, he'd fight, but give up before he got hurt.
Oh wow. That sounds bad!

Myth/Rumor: Roosters raised with each other, never separated, will fight.
Story: I have often heard that roosters raised from hatch, and never separated, will never fight.
True or False: False.
Evidence: I raised all my Silver Duckwing Old English Game bantam roosters together believing this. One day with the first two, I came out to see one (Chester) half dead because him and his brother (Perch) got in a terrible fight. Years later, the Chester had his son's raised with him. One day during the winter on the off season for the hens, I found Chester and his oldest son (Lester; Chester Jr.) was fighting evenly.
Then, another time, I was raising three TSC Silkie roosters together who was pure brothers. I came out to discover the two youngest roosters fighting badly.

Myth/Rumor: Roosters raised with each other, never separated, will fight.
Story: I have often heard that roosters raised from hatch, and never separated, will never fight.
True or False: False.
Evidence: I raised all my Silver Duckwing Old English Game bantam roosters together believing this. One day with the first two, I came out to see one (Chester) half dead because him and his brother (Perch) got in a terrible fight. Years later, the Chester had his son's raised with him. One day during the winter on the off season for the hens, I found Chester and his oldest son (Lester; Chester Jr.) was fighting evenly.
Then, another time, I was raising three TSC Silkie roosters together who was pure brothers. I came out to discover the two youngest roosters fighting badly.
I hope they never hurt anyone.

I hope they never hurt anyone.
As far as chickens, Chester's brother Perch nearly killed him. Then a few years later, Chester again nearly got killed by my TSC Silkie rooster Beemer. Chester with Lester, was more of an even match. Chester had years of experience, but Lester had spurs. If I didn't find them in time, I probably would of lost both.
As far as humans, Chester did attack, but he didn't have spurs and he lost a couple of nails. So when he attacked, it felt more like he was giving your ankles a massage. :lol:

As far as chickens, Chester's brother Perch nearly killed him. Then a few years later, Chester again nearly got killed by my TSC Silkie rooster Beemer. Chester with Lester, was more of an even match. Chester had years of experience, but Lester had spurs. If I didn't find them in time, I probably would of lost both.
As far as humans, Chester did attack, but he didn't have spurs and he lost a couple of nails. So when he attacked, it felt more like he was giving your ankles a massage. :lol:
Oh wow! Glad no one got hurt.

Now I want to See how that‘s like :lol:

Oh wow!

Now I want to See how that‘s like
It was funny. Chester was a great rooster. In fact, he was probably my best one I ever had. When he attacked, I would just pick him up, and he'd be fine. His son Lindbergh on the other hand.... You'd need gloves to pick up him. He was terrible. He'd bite my hand hard. I rehomed him not because he was mean, but because I was keeping his older brother Lester instead. He went with his father, Chester, and his grandmother, Lucille, altogether on Craigslist. Sometime later, the person that got the trio had put Lindbergh back on Craigslist because they couldn't even go outside without him attacking. He was definitely something else: A vicious fighting rooster lacking his father's intelligence. :rolleyes:

It was funny. Chester was a great rooster. In fact, he was probably my best one I ever had. When he attacked, I would just pick him up, and he'd be fine. His son Lindbergh on the other hand.... You'd need gloves to pick up him. He was terrible. He'd bite my hand hard. I rehomed him not because he was mean, but because I was keeping his older brother Lester instead. He went with his father, Chester, and his grandmother, Lucille, altogether on Craigslist. Sometime later, the person that got the trio had put Lindbergh back on Craigslist because they couldn't even go outside without him attacking. He was definitely something else: A vicious fighting rooster lacking his father's intelligence. :rolleyes:
Oh wow. Guess fighting is just in Their blood. Sorry Chester had to go :(

Oh wow. Guess fighting is just in Their blood. Sorry Chester had to go :(
Yes. That's what they were bred for way back then. They'd dub them to give them a better chance at winning the fight, but now it's only for show. On the good side, they are very intelligent. My Silver Duckwing Old English Game bantam hens would sneak up on my big Buff Orpingtons, grab their hackles, and got for a ride across the yard while the BO screamed trying to get away. My little Libby was not only queen over the bantams, but of the standards too. Not to mention, I gave my bantams a cage one winter, and they used it to take standard sized hens prisoner and lock them inside. I only had two standard sized hens that could match up to the bantams intelligence. One, Cave II, was even able to outsmart my Silver Duckwing Old English Game bantams to save her flock from them when they took her flock hostage. Unfortunately, though her plan worked, the rest of the standard sized flock wasn't as smart as her, and hide IN the bantams coop. The bantams came back, and into the bantams jail cell those standards were put. :lol:
Thanks. :hugs Me too. A few months later I had to rehome the rest of the flock, and I miss them all dearly. They were great birds, and good looking.

Back
Top Bottom