Chicken Myths/Rumors: True or False, Please Share!

Pics
Cedar shavings are bad for many small pets like rats and hamsters. Cedar gives off the scent from the cedar oil that can cause respiratory issues. It's not a stretch to think that it might not be good for chickens as well. Think about it: Cedar is used to make products like cedar chests and closet items meant to kill/repel moths and such.
Hold a handful of cedar shavings to your nose and do the same for pine.....BIG difference.

There is also a difference between the eastern and western cedar species.

Eastern Red Cedar is the highly aromatic one.

Additionally, it matters how old the cedar shavings are. I'm not worrying about a couple cedar saplings in my tree-trimmer wood chip pile that's been aging in my yard for 2 years. I wouldn't use the sawdust fresh from my neighbor's sawmill.

I'm asthmatic so it's it's strong enough to bother me I assume that it's going to be a problem for a bird since a bird's respiratory system is even more delicate.

OK this is not to start a argument but i wanted to shear something so...:oops:

myth/rumour: pekin bantams are bantam versions of Cochin

story: i have heard very meany people say they are the same thing

true/false: false but also sort of true in some country's but not were i live

evidence: pekin bantams came from Peking (in china )and Cochin,s did not, and there egg colour is different

now i know it is just the name that they are called but i thought i would put this in this thread

OK this is not to start a argument but i wanted to shear something so...:oops:

myth/rumour: pekin bantams are bantam versions of Cochin

story: i have heard very meany people say they are the same thing

true/false: false but also sort of true in some country's but not were i live

evidence: pekin bantams came from Peking (in china )and Cochin,s did not, and there egg colour is different

now i know it is just the name that they are called but i thought i would put this in this thread
Cochins also came from China. Pekins and BC's are the same.

Cochins also came from China. Pekins and BC's are the same.
yes i probably should have made it moor clear i meant they came from two different
places in china, and i do know they are the same thing i do find it weird that they go by two different names but its what happen,d so... any way thank you for letting me know it was not as clear as i would like to think it was

yes i probably should have made it moor clear i meant they came from two different
places in china, and i do know they are the same thing i do find it weird that they go by two different names but its what happen,d so... any way thank you for letting me know it was not as clear as i would like to think it was
I also don't understand why we don't call them Pekins here. To me it's silly and very confusing to call them Bantam Cochins when they're not the bantam version of a Cochin.

There is also a difference between the eastern and western cedar species.

Eastern Red Cedar is the highly aromatic one.

Additionally, it matters how old the cedar shavings are. I'm not worrying about a couple cedar saplings in my tree-trimmer wood chip pile that's been aging in my yard for 2 years. I wouldn't use the sawdust fresh from my neighbor's sawmill.

I'm asthmatic so it's it's strong enough to bother me I assume that it's going to be a problem for a bird since a bird's respiratory system is even more delicate.
In addition, the Eastern Red Cedar isn't even a true cedar, it is a Juniper.

I wouldn't count on it with raccoons.
One time I trapped and killed a raccoon, the next night raccoons broke into my basement and killed all the chicks in the brooder.
Having read a number of threads on backyard chickens about what a scourge raccoons are, I'm really rather glad we don't have to deal with them in Australia, the foxes alone are bad enough.

I have a hen that does that...I don't think she even notices. She'll just stop and drop an egg anywhere. Fortunately they are fairly small white eggs so there's not too much mess when she drops them from a height. She popped one out while perched on a sawhorse last week and I often find them broken under the roost.
Someone needs to Double down on the oyster shells! Jk jk 🐓❤️

Back
Top Bottom