Chicken Myths/Rumors: True or False, Please Share!

Pics
This has nothing to do with myths, but someone once gave me a dozen hatching eggs. I put them under a broody hen. They all hatched. They were also all roosters. Every single one. Never had that happen to me before or since. I don't remember now what season I hatched them and I don't remember what shape the eggs were, but I do remember how disappointed I was. In my wildest dreams it never occurred to me I would not get even one pullet out of that dozen eggs.
There are definitely exceptions to the rule. I had a hen brood 9 eggs last summer, she hatched 9 out of 9 and they all turned out to be pullets. However, I hatch an average of 300 eggs a year and it evens out to about 50/50.

That only roosters are loud and make noise. Heh heh heh. Panda would never let me believe such nonsense.
I have some Roos that love to crow, but I have a hen that it quite loud when she wants to be. She's a sweet older hen, I really don't know what she is, or even how old she is, as she was a rescue. I call her my "Buff Brahma" because that's what she resembles. I named her Chanel. She is so old she doesn't lay eggs but she acts broody, so I let her hatch out someone else's eggs and she was a wonderful mama! For the most part, Chanel is a quiet girl, however, when she wants to go and sit in a particular nest box, and someone else is in there, she will stand there and do this loud whining squawk, like I've never heard any other chicken do. She is loud as well as persistent, and she won't stop until she gets the nest Box that she wants to go in. Never mind that there's an empty box right next door...No she gets right in the "trespassing hens" faces & whines. She makes the 1 or 2 hens in that particular nest Box exit and go use another empty Box so she can go into the one that she prefers. She's not very high in the pecking order but everyone seems to respect her, because of her age maybe, I don't know. She is a big fluffy girl, I just love scooping her up for hugs. She cracks me up. Here's some pics. In 1 she just finished whining at a Buff Orpington & EE hen to vacate "her" box. 😆 (Notice the empty box next door)
1601489388046_image.png 20201107_140629.jpg 20201107_145512.jpg 20201107_150011.jpg 20201203_111628.jpg

Last edited:
NOW I am going to have to look platypusses. Or is it platypi? Anybody know?
I got curious too...looked it up.

Scientists generally use "platypuses" or simply "platypus". Colloquially, the term "platypi" is also used for the plural, although this is a form of pseudo-Latin; going by the word's Greek roots the plural would be "platypodes".

Wow that's a subject for a whole another thread 😆
Goose & geese
Mouse & mice
Millennium & millennia
Life & lives
Beef & beeves
Biceps & bicepses
Octopus & octopi
Amoeba & amoebae

Last edited:
I got curious too...looked it up.

Scientists generally use "platypuses" or simply "platypus". Colloquially, the term "platypi" is also used for the plural, although this is a form of pseudo-Latin; going by the word's Greek roots the plural would be "platypodes".

Wow that's a subject for a whole another thread 😆
Goose & geese
Mouse & mice
Millennium & millennia
Life & lives
Beef & beeves
Biceps & bicepses
Octopus & octopi
Amoeba & amoebae
yes i think some one should make a thread for that 🤣:):gig:oops:

Eating eggs is murder. (Sorry, I don't understand vegans at all)
nether, WY have chickens if you dont eat the eggs and also meat is so good, i dont eat my chickens be cos i have pekin bantams, so if i did eat them i would have to be the last thing on earth that is edible:):lol: but i dont want to start any arguments so, eat what you want to eat :oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

Back
Top Bottom