Chicken Myths/Rumors: True or False, Please Share!

Not so in US. I was vegan for awhile because I couldn’t find humanely raised meat…switched to vegetarian then back to omnivore once I found a fewlocally sourced humanely pasture raised farms. I will ONLY eat meat from them otherwise I’ll go without.
yes i think that there are little humanly done farms in the US but in NZ it is different,i am glade you found a few locally humane farms where you are

Myth: chickens have to be fed specially formulated chicken food

False. Chickens can survive on all sorts of things! I've raised chickens on pellets, completely free range with supplemental pellets, and entirely on human scrap food from the stuff food pantries throw out at the end of distribution days. I will admit that my birds lay most reliably on pellets but you have to weigh what is most important to you. I decided to set a goal of completely free chicken keeping and so I built a new coop from pallet wood scavenged from pallets my Wilco throws out and construction scrap and have been feeding them solely on the food I can get from a group called the Gleeners. They're a food pantry that collect foods from local stores that are close to sell by dates, thus feeding the needy and saving it from going to the dump. I take whatever is left at the end of the day and feed it to my animals. This group of chickens has had zero health issues and has laid through the winter so I'd call it a success! I've only had to buy pellet food for them twice since moving them out of the brooder and it was because I missed a couple pick up days.

I have one, a friend of mine believes it's unsanitary to eat chicken thats raised in your back yard. She thinks commercial raised chicken is only safe because of the chemicals used to wash them after they've been butchered kills all the germs and she owns chickens. At the same time she will come over and eat some of the fresh venison my husband hunted, processed in the same yard as my chickens with no problem. She also thinks my eggs are no good cause I have a rooster, she thinks their all gonna be bloody or have a half grown chick inside.

I have one, a friend of mine believes it's unsanitary to eat chicken thats raised in your back yard. She thinks commercial raised chicken is only safe because of the chemicals used to wash them after they've been butchered kills all the germs and she owns chickens. At the same time she will come over and eat some of the fresh venison my husband hunted, processed in the same yard as my chickens with no problem. She also thinks my eggs are no good cause I have a rooster, she thinks their all gonna be bloody or have a half grown chick inside.
When in reality those chemicals that are used are more dangerous for her also.

Myth/Rumor: Old hens lay double yokers.
Story: I've heard it said, that older hens will lay double yokers, and that's a sign that they're getting close to retirement.
True or False: False
Evidence: I've had plenty of hens get older, and never lay a double yoker. I've had hens up to six years old not laying double yokers. I typically see double yokers coming out of young EEs on hot days. I have occasionally seen a double yoker out of any random hen of any age on any day, but I haven't see age as the reason.

Myth/Rumor: Old hens lay double yokers.
Story: I've heard it said, that older hens will lay double yokers, and that's a sign that they're getting close to retirement.
True or False: False
Evidence: I've had plenty of hens get older, and never lay a double yoker. I've had hens up to six years old not laying double yokers. I typically see double yokers coming out of young EEs on hot days. I have occasionally seen a double yoker out of any random hen of any age on any day, but I haven't see age as the reason.
I can back this up! :D We have five white eggers, three Anconas, and two California Whites, and they are all likely one year old. (We got them around Valentine’s Day last year).

Anyway, one of those hens has been laying young double yokers.

That's crazy! 🤣

Back
Top Bottom