Chicken neck problem

Cassiecd86

Hatching
May 20, 2022
I don’t know what is happening. He was acting strange a few days ago, we brought him inside and let him chill out, thinking he had gotten into something outside. The next day it was fine. Then it was last night he was under the coop at night while everyone else was inside with his head cocked sideways. Nothing crazy but bought him in a gave him his food and water and he ate some and went to bed. Woke up and it’s like his head is upside down. I am trying to help him get his head the right way and was going to bandage it but I have no idea what happened. There are no injury or marks on him. Everyone is silkie and bantams so they get along pretty well. He is under three months. He was eating fine last night a little wonky but today it’s scary. He can hold his head up, but it is sideways. He is just exhausted right now and I have him set up on a blanket so his head can’t go too far. Please help if anyone knows. I don’t know how to add this to the photo. I’m sorry I’m just in a panic. He keeps looking at me a wanting help and I don’t know what to do. We live in the Appalachian mountains, maybe there’s something he could’ve gotten into? It’s like he panics and then backs into a corner so I just keep trying to keep him calm. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 83B4E56D-B4F3-4FE0-8B8D-DD1599338CBF.jpeg
    83B4E56D-B4F3-4FE0-8B8D-DD1599338CBF.jpeg
    487.7 KB · Views: 12
It could be very bad vitamin deficiency. Vitamin e 400 iu daily. A little bit complex wouldn't hurt.
Thank you so much for your help. I am trying that now. Can I wrap his neck up or give him a tiny little piece of a piece of diazepam I get to help him relax and not suffer so much?

I would just do the Vitamin E, give a bit of scrambled egg for some selenium to help with the uptake of the E. What he has is called wry neck, more info on that linked below. It can be commonly from vitamin deficiency and can show up quite suddenly. If the vitamins do not bring improvement then other causes would have to be looked at. In silkies a head injury can cause it due to their vaulted skulls. There are also illnesses that can cause it. But vitamin therapy is the first thing to do. If it's unable to eat or drink on it's own, then you will need to help with that so that it doesn't get dehydrated, until it recovers enough to do it on it's own. Don't wrap the neck. You can try putting a rolled up towel under his head neck, to hold them up a litte, if that makes him more comfortable. The link below has a video at the end showing how to help a bird eat and drink.
https://www.raising-happy-chickens.com/wry-neck.html

That is wry neck a neurological symptom of head injuries, vitamin E or thiamine deficiency, certain illness such as Mareks and a few others, and some birds have a tendency for wry neck.

X2 on not using diazepam. That is a muscle relaxant and he has a nerve problem. There also might be a possibility of stopping his breathing if overdosed.

Follow advice above by Coach723.

Back
Top Bottom