Chicken nesting boxes

ours are very similar to that. I do have 4 that sit on the floor like that and the silkies just sleep in them. There are 2 that sit on top of those 4 and those are the ones they lay in. Interested to see which nest the silkies decide to use.

I have 4 hens and three of the four lay in the same box, the lower right hand one (the last one is going through a mini-molt at the moment and hasn't laid for over a month - I forget where she laid). :) What is it about that one box that's so comfortable??!!? As long as they lay in the boxes, I don't care which box they use!

They usually roost very peaceably together but occasionally I'll find one particular hen roosting on top of the boxes. We plan to get 4-5 more pullets in a month or so and I'll be interested to see where they lay. It seems like eventually there would be too many eggs in one box, but who knows?

I could post pictures, but there wouldn't be any chickens there. After building a stash ov 8 rolling easy collection boxes, the girls won't use them. They lay in the corner or the dirt bath and don't even look at the nest boxes. Any ideas on how to get them to use what ever you provide would be helpful.

Here was my 1st attempt at nesting boxes. External access, 3 different nesting materials and golf balls that was my secret to getting all of them to all lay in the 1 oppisite of the coop door no matter the nesting materials.

In my new coop i had a false wall of sorts that i just covered in cardboard and cut a hole out for them to go in and out. So simple yet so affective.

And then when i put new chickens in the coop with the nest box pic, they lay in the same box as the former residents. Go figure.

I am in the process or building 2 new coops and will be building boxes much like the ones in the pic but the coop wall opens up for cleaning so no nest box outside access, the 1 in the pic ha a slight leak( learn from mistakes)

Lastly, none of my standard size fowl liked the 5 gallon bucket nest boxes. No matter how I set them up, laying flat or standing up with a hole cut out, they rathr lay on the poop tray the in a 5 gallon bucket.

Thats enough from me, good luck:)

Ya my one hen she is my favorite hen and she would not lay if I took her golf balls and would lay were ever I put them weather it's on the ground or or in her box

Ya my one hen she is my favorite hen and she would not lay if I took her golf balls and would lay were ever I put them weather it's on the ground or or in her box

All of mine follow the golf balls, at least until the 1st egg is laid. Then thry lay where the egg is, lol. Everyday, like the good "rooster" i am, i fix the nests just the way they like it, lol.

Back
Top Bottom