LightswitchRaves

In the Brooder
Dec 8, 2022
San Diego County, CA
Hi all! I'm looking for some help with my naked neck chicken. About a month or 2 ago I noticed she was standing on one leg sometimes. Her feet and legs looked ok, and it wasn't always the same leg, so I thought maybe she was trying to keep herself warm. She went through a full molt about a month or so ago and her feathers are almost all back now. Since it gets down into the 40s at night lately, and her molts are ROUGH (she loses almost all her feathers all at once, see mid-molt pic attached. 😁), she's been staying in a dog cage in our garage at night since she seemed pretty stressed/sick due to her molt. I've been periodically giving her Hydro-hen water in her food also to help give her a little extra boost. I let her out to her run every morning (although not as early as she would get up if she was staying outside). Today when I let her out, I noticed she was twitching her head along with the standing on one foot (YouTube link below). The shaking of her head to get the wet food off of her beak is normal for her, but the twitch afterwards is not. The twitching seems to be exacerbated when she shakes her head. I gave her some liquid vitamins mixed with water and food to see if maybe it's possibly due to some sort of nutrient deficiency related or unrelated to her molt. But I wanted to see if anyone here had any other thoughts. Now that she's been staying inside at night and she's almost done with her molt, she's doing well and is otherwise active and alert. Thank you in advance!

1000022208.jpg

Last edited:
You know her better than we do, I only see a shaking of the head from eating wet mash, but if it seems odd to you, then start her on vitamin therapy to see if that helps.
400IU Vitamin E along with 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily. Give her a small treat of egg daily to help with the uptake of E.

As for the foot, to me it looks like it's pain for her to bare weight on it, but again, that's just what I see in the video. I would re-inspect for fracture, sores, nicks/cuts, scabs etc. If the issue is neurological, hopefully the vitamins will help.

You know her better than we do, I only see a shaking of the head from eating wet mash, but if it seems odd to you, then start her on vitamin therapy to see if that helps.
400IU Vitamin E along with 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily. Give her a small treat of egg daily to help with the uptake of E.

As for the foot, to me it looks like it's pain for her to bare weight on it, but again, that's just what I see in the video. I would re-inspect for fracture, sores, nicks/cuts, scabs etc. If the issue is neurological, hopefully the vitamins will help.
Thanks for your response! Yeah, the head thing is kind of subtle in the video. But it's kind of a few involuntary ticks to her left side after she shakes her head. I'll check her leg out again and get her on the vitamins and hope it resolves on its own. 🤞 Appreciate your input.

Back
Top Bottom