Chicken never outside question

Robin L

Songster
11 Years
Jun 12, 2008
Wisconsin
I got 4 new chickens from a lady that kept them in her garage, in a hutch and they never went outside. I let them out yesterday and figured out they dont know to go back into the coop at dusk. Will they ever learn or will I be catching them daily to return to their coop? Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Most of mine head for the coop at dusk except for 5 or 6 that roost in a red maple tree right behind the shed. I'm hoping as the temps drop, and leaves fall off, they'll know enough to sleep inside.

All my other ones do go to their coop. These ones never had to do that or Ive never had this problem with my babies. Thanks for your reply
smile.png

I believe you should keep them in the coop for a day or so until they get used to their surroundings. After that you should be able to let them out and guide them back into the coop for a time. Yes they will (should?) learn to go by themselves. Good for you for letting them out.

I've got the same problem with some ee's that think they live in a pine tree. A few times I've managed to catch them and place them in the coop for a few days at a time but as soon as I take pitty on them and let them out with the hope that they will figure it out they revert to old behavior.

Yes they will learn.

Do you have other chickens? I am guessing you don't, but if you do then they must be getting along ok? The others are not keeping the newbies away from food water or "their" coop?

Until they figure out to go in on their own you should round them up and take them in.

If you do not have others, and are introducing the new chickens to their new home, they may need a settling in period of a week or two. I have read in other posts that during this period they need to be confined and fed in their new coop, and perhaps an adjacent run, not let out to range. This is so they understand that "home" is now the coop you have provided, and don't decide that a tree at the neighbors seems safer. Once they seem content and settled in you can let them out and shoo them back in until they get it.

I feed additional bonus yummys in the run about dusk and the girls now gather in the run at about "that Time" and wait for me. All I do is go in drop a few leftovers in the dish, wait a minute or two for them to finish and climb into their small coop, and lock up for the night.

I do have other chickens but I just got these 4 and they are in "confinement" until Im sure they are health, they do look health, no mites or nothing but.....
So my new ones are in a fenced in area and my others are free ranging. After being "locked" away I did have the heart to keep them locked up in the coop.
Thank you all for your replies!

I leave all new chickens in the coop for 2 weeks before they are allowed out to range. Then the coop is imprinted on their minds as the roosting place before they get the chance to find a place they like better.

I have 4 or 5 hens (out of thirty some) that refuse to go in the coop in the evening, they sit on top of the pen. I have figured out that they do not want to be chased around anymore by the roosters, LOL. SO they wouldnt go in. We had to put them in.

Think about this way.

A woman comes into your house, without question and nothing more than what is on your back as far as clothing and other things, you are put into her car and taken miles away. Once you arrive you are taken into another house and expected to resume your normal daily life ASAP.

Would you begin washing dishes, folding laundry and other chores without any questions or expecting to have any of your old things brought to you? would you be able to have meals with a different family and continue as normal?

You have to teach them everything you want them to do and know.

Back
Top Bottom