Chicken newbie

mibob12

In the Brooder
May 6, 2016
Merrillville, Indiana
Hi my name is Miki. I am from NW Indiana. After a recent trip to Arkansas to visit family my family fell in love with their chickens, especially after seeing how easy they were to take care of. I would like to know if any of you live up north and have had any issues raising chickens in harsh winters.

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! I'm sure you will enjoy your new chicken adventures very much. Chickens cope well in the cold give the right environment. A coop that is dry amd well ventilated and they should be fine. You might like to pop by your state thread for other members in your area who could give you more pointers. They can be found here ~https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy BYC :frow

We have BYCERS is some very extreme weather conditions and their birds survive. I'm sure Merrillville gets a lot of lake effect snow etc. but probably not as bad as bycers in the UP of Michigan or Canada. If you join your state thread you could post your questions there. They will be happy to tell you what breeds do well and what type of coops they have.

Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
CT

Back
Top Bottom