chicken newbie

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by geetabean, Mar 18, 2009.

1. geetabean

geetabean Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2009
    Smithfield, NC
    Hello all! My name is Gina and not only am I new to these forums, I am new to chickens as well. I live in Smithfield, North Carolina with my husband and two daughters ages 2 and a half and 10 months. I am a stay at home Mama and would like my children to grow up with animals and learn how to live off the land. We also have two mixed breed adopted dogs.

We have almost an acre of land and have just started getting into gardening and composting and trying to be more green and self sufficient. I have 4, one month old Rhode Island Reds (supposedly pullets) and two Barred Rock chicks, one is about 2 weeks, the other a few days old. I was told that the Reds were pullets but one is acting especially aggressive and I'm starting to think she is a he. Who knows what my barred rocks are....hopefully pullets, but we'll see. My hubby picked them out using some sexing techniques he read about on-line, but I don't think they really work. I can't have Roos in my area so here's hoping they all turn out to be ladies!!

I ran into backyard chicken while doing research on breeds and basics of taking care of chicks and also coop building. I think its a great site! Although a bit addictive! lol I'm looking forward to getting to know some other chicken enthusiasts.....most of my friends think I'm a bit wacko for getting chickens!

Cheers!
    Gina

2. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from TN

3. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    Your not wacko!! [​IMG] from Michigan. We are getting our first chicks shipped April 1st. Right now we have 2 BBW poults in the brooder. This site is very addicting! Have fun.

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG] to the wackiness from Washington. [​IMG]
    Imp

5. n-da-woods

n-da-woods Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    North Carolina
    Hello [​IMG] and WELCOME to BYC from New London NC

6. pw_quiltworks

pw_quiltworks One Handy Chick

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    [​IMG]
    From Old Town, Maine

7. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    [​IMG], Gina!

Glad to have you here! [​IMG]

8. Up-the-Creek

Up-the-Creek Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    West Virginia
    [​IMG]

9. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    [​IMG] Welcome from Iowa! [​IMG]
    Keep reading, you'll learn so much here at BYC!
    [​IMG]

10. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by