Chicken Newbie

BrittK7

Hatching
May 5, 2015
Hi Everyone! I've wanted chickens for a while now and we decided to go for it this year. We just got our chicks last week. 3 Black Australorps, 3 Welsummers, and 3 Barred Rocks. We have a lot to learn and I'm sure I'll be back to ask questions to all you seasoned chicken keepers. Wish us luck!

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Congrats on your chicks! You've picked out some great breeds. Looks like one of your australorps in your avatar, is that correct? Very cute! Do they have names?

We are glad you joined us! Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join our flock. You have three great breeds. Black Australorps are my favorite standard breed. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds), and they are extremely hardy, calm and gentle (my children and granddaughter made lap pets of them), and excellent layers of large, brown eggs. I love the chocolate eggs of the Welsummers. In my personal opinion, they are the prettiest eggs in the chicken world. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your chicks.

Welcome to Backyard chickens, so glad you joined the flock
yesss.gif

So it's been almost a month with the babies and all is well! I found a couple suggestions on here about pasty butt and found that vaseline on their tail fluff worked like a charm. No pasty butt in this house! Our Barred Rocks seem to be the most friendly and curious out of them all. The one in the picture on the feeder jar will step right onto my hand and let me hold her. And she is very interested in my dog!
Right now I'm having some issues with our waterer. With the temporary living arrangements I can't hang an upright waterer like I wanted to. Some of the chicks have decided the feeder and waterer are the best places to perch.... But with that they are knocking over their waterer and soaking their bedding. Any suggestions on how to maybe weight the waterer down so its not as easy for them to knock over?

Back
Top Bottom