Chicken newbies

ncm58

Hatching
6 Years
Jan 28, 2013
We are new to raising chickens and have a couple questions. We have 4 barred plymouth rocks. We are in Maryland and the temps are in the mid 20's right now. Chicks are just starting to lay and one has very watery poop. Is this something we need to worry about or what can I feed to help her, if it is necessary? Also, one has been shaking her head to the right for about two weeks and coughs once in awhile. What's up with that? Do we need to do anything for it? I am all ears and appreciate any advise you can provide.

Don't worry too much about watery poop as long as it doesn't last longer that a few days. This has happened with my chickens and what I gave them was yogurt with live cultures. THis is very good for them and they love it! It totally regulated their stool. Do give them the purest yogurt not by products or chemicals or any low fat!

Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Watery poop is usually caused by them drinking too much water and/or not eating enough. Have you dewormed them yet? I think you should ask about the head shaking one in the Emergencies and Diseases section:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Good luck with them!

Back
Top Bottom