1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken noises! Does this mean anything?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by The3JBs, Aug 21, 2014.

1. The3JBs

The3JBs New Egg

Mar 11, 2014
    We have three, 18 week old buff orps and we're patiently waiting for our first eggs. One of them, PJ, is definitely the furthest along developmentally. She is much redder on her comb and wattle than the other 2. In the past few days she's become much more vocal, both in volume and frequency of her "talking". Has anyone else seen this happen before they start laying? Excited in OH!

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Oh yes! This is known as "singing." All pullets/hens do it before and sometimes after they lay eggs. My buff orp is doing the same thing.

3. AlineD

AlineD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2014
    Wyoming
    My leghorns, too! They got much more vocal as they matured. Except they didn't sing, so much as do a kind of chicken growl with an occasional squawk. I couldn't figure out what people meant by the egg song, but I get it now that they've been laying for a few weeks. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by