Chicken not acting herself for several weeks.

Vanschelt

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 6, 2018
She was the top hen in the pecking order. Several weeks ago she started acting lethargic. I thought he had a possible bound egg so I gave her several epson salt baths and some added calcium. She didn't really respond to that treatment. I did this about 5 weeks ago. Her comb is very dry and dull looking in comparison to her other sisters. Also, her leg seem to be spreading wider and wider. She sleeps in a nesting box as of late as well. She moves slow but once in a while comes running if I am offering mill-worms. She keeps hobbling along but I know she isn't feeling well. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3043.jpg
    IMG_3043.jpg
    397 KB · Views: 4
Hi,
I am having the same issue but mine last anywhere from 1 week to 3 days. In the severe case they start out lethargic and hunch up, then proceed to stagger , may shake their head or go wide leg, then and go off of feed. Mild case (short term) they seem slow, wide leg stance. There eyes are clear, no discharges.
I have tried VetRx. I am at my wits end.

Last edited:
What is her poop like? Try to get a picture. Eating and drinking?
Have you checked her to see if she's egg bound? You can do a quick search for more instructions.
Also, feel her abdomen and report if there's anything unusual. Swollen?
Feel around her crop, is it empty in the morning? Or squishy or hard. Does she have any odor from her mouth?

My hen was doing the same thing and I followed the same protocol. Baths, vitamins, calcium - she would do better but was still unstable in walking. She did not seem to have crop issues. She also did not seem to have mites but one leg looked swollen so finally we dipped her legs in gasoline and put vaseline on them. ( sorry, may not be the modern day thing to do but it seemed to work) and kept her in a place alone where she did not have to jump to sleep, after a week we built her her own very low roosting pole in the roosting area,She seems to be back on track. I had been giving mine organic feed and switched back to regular feed ( name brand) and they all quit laying at that time as well- so who knows. Back to prissy organic feed for me.

Hi,
I am having the same issue but mine last anywhere from 1 week to 3 days. In the severe case they start out lethargic and hunch up, then proceed to stagger , may shake their head or go wide leg, then and go off of feed. Mild case (short term) they seem slow, wide leg stance. There eyes are clear, no discharges.
I have tried VetRx. I am at my wits end.
I am afraid she is going to die if this continues too long

My hen was doing the same thing and I followed the same protocol. Baths, vitamins, calcium - she would do better but was still unstable in walking. She did not seem to have crop issues. She also did not seem to have mites but one leg looked swollen so finally we dipped her legs in gasoline and put vaseline on them. ( sorry, may not be the modern day thing to do but it seemed to work) and kept her in a place alone where she did not have to jump to sleep, after a week we built her her own very low roosting pole in the roosting area,She seems to be back on track. I had been giving mine organic feed and switched back to regular feed ( name brand) and they all quit laying at that time as well- so who knows. Back to prissy organic feed for me.
I am sure it doesn't help her having to jump up into the nesting box as it is quite high. I like the idea of a lower perch. I am also going to change her food up a bit as well. Thanks for the imput.

What is her poop like? Try to get a picture. Eating and drinking?
Have you checked her to see if she's egg bound? You can do a quick search for more instructions.
Also, feel her abdomen and report if there's anything unusual. Swollen?
Feel around her crop, is it empty in the morning? Or squishy or hard. Does she have any odor from her mouth?
I will check and report back, thanks.

All 7 of mine passed from this mysterious illness. The longest I nursed one was a little over a week. Once it gets going they go off of feed. The one today was off for only 3 days before passing. She ate and drank, seemed a little lethargic, wide legged stance, got locked out of the coop. Next day she was dead.
I have checked their crop, poop. I clean out the coop every day. They are on the breakfast of champions and get mealy worms daily as a treat. I tried Vetrx with limited success. Their eyes are clear, not bound. I am seriously thinking of taking the next one to the vet if it happens again.
I am wondering if something is running through my flock.

Just be methodical, Van, let's go with process of elimination. Check her crop tonight to see if she has anything in it, then check tomorrow morning first thing to see if it's empty. Btw where are you? I'm assuming you're in the states but perhaps you're elsewhere.

Just curious. Where did you get your chickens from? My last batch came from McMurray.
I started with a sick 9 week old. Same symptoms. I thought I lost her due to travel , but now I am wondering.

Back
Top Bottom