Chicken not acting herself for several weeks.

All 7 of mine passed from this mysterious illness. The longest I nursed one was a little over a week. Once it gets going they go off of feed. The one today was off for only 3 days before passing. She ate and drank, seemed a little lethargic, wide legged stance, got locked out of the coop. Next day she was dead.
I have checked their crop, poop. I clean out the coop every day. They are on the breakfast of champions and get mealy worms daily as a treat. I tried Vetrx with limited success. Their eyes are clear, not bound. I am seriously thinking of taking the next one to the vet if it happens again.
I am wondering if something is running through my flock.
Just curious. Where did you get your chickens from? My last batch came from McMurray.
I started with a sick 9 week old. Same symptoms. I thought I lost her due to travel , but now I am wondering.
IFA in Salt Lake City, Utah

Just be methodical, Van, let's go with process of elimination. Check her crop tonight to see if she has anything in it, then check tomorrow morning first thing to see if it's empty. Btw where are you? I'm assuming you're in the states but perhaps you're elsewhere.
Will do. I am in Salt Lake City, Utah. Thanks

How are things looking for your chick today?
Pretty much the same. Slow moving, hangs back. My flock free ranges in th day, Poops less and poops small. She does have an appetite and is right there with the others to eat but not her normal aggressive self. comb and waddle look very dry and darker red. Legs are spread wide. Not much change in several week. I am surprised she is still with me. Also, The other bird sleep in the run while she sin the coop in a nesting box. Thanks

If it were my hen I would suspect the following two things- maybe worms, you may want to consider worming the flock. I use valbazen, a broad spectrum wormer. Unfortunately you need to toss the eggs for some days, but it is effective medicine. There are other worming options you can search for in the forums
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...s-for-poultry-waterfowl-and-game-birds.75490/

The other thing is a yeast infection, try giving plain yogurt (a good kind with active culture) and low sugar, yeast loves sugar.

If it were my hen I would suspect the following two things- maybe worms, you may want to consider worming the flock. I use valbazen, a broad spectrum wormer. Unfortunately you need to toss the eggs for some days, but it is effective medicine. There are other worming options you can search for in the forums
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...s-for-poultry-waterfowl-and-game-birds.75490/

The other thing is a yeast infection, try giving plain yogurt (a good kind with active culture) and low sugar, yeast loves sugar.
I really appreciate your feed back. I will look into both options. Have a great day!!

Back
Top Bottom