Chicken not completely laying egg before exiting coop

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Toppy, May 22, 2012.

1. Toppy

Toppy Hatching

May 22, 2012
    Hi Everyone, I have searched for someone else who may have had this problem. I have 2 (wish I could have more) very healthy and spoiled buff orpington hens (what a leaning experience raising them from chicks). They are a year old and started laying this past Nov. One lays in the nesting box and the other lays on the floor under the box, haven't figured that out yet! The problem is the one that lays under the box goes in to lay her egg, but the egg seems to stick and doesn't completely release until she jumps on the step out of the coop. Her eggs the past few days have done this, they don't break but they crack when they hit the step. She does lay big eggs, I don't know if this is the problem or if she needs some type of lubricant or is lacking something in her diet. They both seem very happy and healthy, I just hate finding a cracked egg! Help

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Why not lock them in until after they're done laying. That way, she won't be able to get on the step, where the egg falls out.

3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Free Ranging

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

Is this something she has been doing since she started laying, or just in the last few days? Maybe a higher lip on the front of the box would help. It could be that the eggs are getting rolled out of the box during the "nesting" process.

4. Toppy

Toppy Hatching

May 22, 2012
    @ muttsfan, She doesn't lay in the box, seems to like the floor better. I used to live in Grayling, loved to visit the UP!

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Crowing

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

6. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Crowing

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. If you don't want to keep them in until they lay, I would maybe put some carpet pieces on the step. Good luck. :thumbsup

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Crowing

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

8. DeniseL

DeniseL Chirping

May 19, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Welcome to BYC! Sounds like you already got some good suggestions. We're still waiting for ours to start laying here. Enjoy your flock! [​IMG]

9. Toppy

Toppy Hatching

May 22, 2012
    Thanks everyone! She finished laying her egg in her usual spot inside the coop today. [​IMG]

10. sumi

sumi Égalité

Jun 28, 2011
    Tipperary, Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: