chicken not eating but still has energy??

Chiknsrcool

Songster
Apr 22, 2020
my hen is not eating much, she is eating some grass but I tried to feed her yogurt with acv and she would not touch it. I also tried to feed her oats and cheese and she would not eat those either. her crop is empty. she was walking like a penguin a few weeks ago but she seems to have gotten over that other than these symptoms. She will still come out of the coop and follow her friends around but she is just a bit slower. She also won’t dust bathe with the others she just kind of lies down on her side next to them. Does she have a disease and is she in pain? What is wrong with her?

How old is she? Has she laid eggs recently or did she stop awhile back? Walking like a penguin sounds like she may be suffering from a reproductive disorder. I would check her for egg binding by gently inserting a clean finger into her vent to feel for a stuck egg. I have had some older hens with reproductive disorders, who had stopped laying who behaved like this. What do her poops look like? Pictures of those and her are helpful. I would stick to feeding dry and some moistened chicken feed and scrambled egg. Let us know if you feel a stuck egg or if that is suspected.

Back
Top Bottom