Chicken not feeling well. Poop picture included.

I left a post on the thread. Fingers crossed. :D

I mean that 2nd vet office I called said they will treat chickens but seems pricey.

She still feels under the weather and runny poops. I'm worried maybe stress caused it because I had her locked up in the coop for a couple days & she's used to being out.
And then my other hen is good except one of her legs is not working. So she's mostly just laying down.

Maybe lice could be the cause for both cases? It happened so suddenly. The leg not working on one hen & the diarrhea for the other hen.
I never knew lice could be so bad. Figured hens' dust baths would keep them away. Novice chicken owner I guess. :p

Used Sevin dust yesterday on them & I found dead lice in their feathers so I guess it worked! Except there were some live ones crawling on the neck. Eek So then I sprinkled some on the neck. It's so dusty and doesn't seem good for them (or me) breathing it in.

I mean that 2nd vet office I called said they will treat chickens but seems pricey.

She still feels under the weather and runny poops. I'm worried maybe stress caused it because I had her locked up in the coop for a couple days & she's used to being out.
And then my other hen is good except one of her legs is not working. So she's mostly just laying down.

Maybe lice could be the cause for both cases? It happened so suddenly. The leg not working on one hen & the diarrhea for the other hen.
I never knew lice could be so bad. Figured hens' dust baths would keep them away. Novice chicken owner I guess. :p

Used Sevin dust yesterday on them & I found dead lice in their feathers so I guess it worked! Except there were some live ones crawling on the neck. Eek So then I sprinkled some on the neck. It's so dusty and doesn't seem good for them (or me) breathing it in.

Oh good...hopefully someone will have some good vet info. And yes the dusting is hard on the breathing...but better than lice! I use the dust as well...but I think there is a spray also..is it any better or work as well? Not sure? I would try putting probiotics in the water to see if you can help calm the stomach a bit...I get it from my feed store, powder you just add to water. But people have used regular over the counter probiotics for people as well...you can probably put it in on this site and get info. Hopefully you can get her into the vet tomorrow and they will help...maybe some antibiotics. And worming may help...definitely wouldn't hurt them :)

Got a few recommendations on the SoCal thread
celebrate.gif

Glad to hear your hen is improving a little!

The last fecal photo you uploaded was definitely encouraging. Your mentioning that she laid a strange, egg-like mass is also very suggestive. This often happens with hens that are getting over being egg-bound or other egg-laying difficulties: the warped egg comes out in a deformed, slimy mess. So it looks like she may be recovering!

The lice would probably not cause her or the other hen to have so many problems, though stress from parasites can make a chicken more vulnerable to other ailments. Your hen that is lying down a lot could be suffering from egg-laying problems, or nutritional deficiencies, or something else. One of my hens typically does a lot of sitting down around this time of the year...she did it last year and made a full recovery without my intervention, so I am thinking she may dislike the heat. I don't know if that's the case with your bird, though.

Continue to keep us posted!

By the way...

HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY!!!

(The patriot in me got the best of me.
wink.png
)

Last edited:
Well I found a vet who'll see chickens for cheaper. $52 and closeby
clap.gif

But I just wanna do a cheap fecal test to start but they require an exam for legal matters or something. :p
I thought it would be easier (and cheaper) to just do poop test. I mean maybe it's just a worm problem or something else I can treat by just buying something at the feed store.
Still haven't made appointment...

She still doesn't feel well. And her poo was sticky and white like in previous post but just the white part.
I already have valbazen wormer coming in the mail but don't want to worm if she doesn't even have worms. Worming a hen who doesn't feel well could possibly make things worse right?

And my other hen really wants to walk around. You can tell. But her dang leg! She seems healthy otherwise. Wish she could chicken around again.

So yeah should probably just comply with rules and go to vet for exam just low on money and scared the price will be huge or something & then what do I do in that situation. I have like $400 and looking for job
th.gif

Well I found a vet who'll see chickens for cheaper. $52 and closeby
clap.gif

But I just wanna do a cheap fecal test to start but they require an exam for legal matters or something. :p
I thought it would be easier (and cheaper) to just do poop test. I mean maybe it's just a worm problem or something else I can treat by just buying something at the feed store.
Still haven't made appointment...

She still doesn't feel well. And her poo was sticky and white like in previous post but just the white part.
I already have valbazen wormer coming in the mail but don't want to worm if she doesn't even have worms. Worming a hen who doesn't feel well could possibly make things worse right?

And my other hen really wants to walk around. You can tell. But her dang leg! She seems healthy otherwise. Wish she could chicken around again.

So yeah should probably just comply with rules and go to vet for exam just low on money and scared the price will be huge or something & then what do I do in that situation. I have like $400 and looking for job
th.gif

Glad you found a vet...and I hear ya with the money...but I still go to the vet. It is worth it when I don't know what's happening to get the correct answer right away! They will ask you before they do anything that has a fee. But the exam will give you a good idea of what may be going on! Good luck and keep me posted.

I have had something similar happen, I gave all the hens sugar water. Then i gave the sick hen yogurt and oystershells, she perked up. Plus all this stuff is really cheap and you don't need to pay 100 dollars to visit the vet
hope this helps

Not a tone of sugar just enough so that it mixes in, maybe about a tablespoon to a gallon? It just gives them a little perk

update:

My hen is all better today! Solid poops and back to her perky, spunky self.
ya.gif

Thanks all for the help and emotional support.
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom